Client Not Connecting - Strange Issue

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
H0ley
Private First Class
Private First Class

Client Not Connecting - Strange Issue

Post by H0ley »

Howdy,

Normally I play bzflag in my dorm room fine but I'm home for spring break and I can't connect.

So this is the type of environment I'm running under. WinXP tablet edition, dual core, 2gb ram, etc etc.

No firewalls (service disabled/ no 3rd party), no antivirus, no nuffin. No viruses because I'm 1337 like that. Straight connection to my comcastic modem, nothing in between. I've removed all the variables that could possibly hinder a connection.

So when I run my BZFlag2.0.10, it says "Can't talk with list server" when I try to search for servers. Even with servers I know the IPs and ports by heart, I can't connect. The message of the day doesn't even show up. Just says it's "not available."

Strangely, I can still see the server list if I point my browser to it, and I can obviously visit bzflag.org without a problem. So this would normally point to a NAT issue but I'm connected directly to the comcastic modem without firewalls.

I've tried a fresh config folder, and uninstalled, reinstalled it a few times already. No cigar. What drives me nuts is that bzflag worked fine before I left for college some time back.

I'm stuck and can't figure it out. Can anyone hand a brother some help?

PS. That sweet BZLaunch 0.9 program and BZAdmin work perfectly however.
/loves meteorite's mom
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Try to change the port that BZFlag uses to talk to the list server. Check out 'Global Login Not Identifying' on http://my.bzflag.org/w/Common_Support_Issues
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Also, try querying the list server by hand by visiting http://my.bzflag.org/db?action=LIST in a browser.