Flicker with Compiz

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
big_dog1968
Private First Class
Private First Class

Flicker with Compiz

Post by big_dog1968 »

BZFlag starts windowed instead of full screen and flickers. It doesn't do this when I turn off compiz/advanced effects. Is there a way to make BZFLAG work properly without having to manually disable desktop effects each time I want to run it?

I am running a Quad core intel cpu, ATI 3850, Ubuntu Hardy 8.04, and have Compiz installed.
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

From my experience gnome (what Ubuntu uses) is a bit rubbish doesn't work well with most stuff. You should try KDE, you can find it in synaptic.
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

big_dog1968 wrote:BZFlag starts windowed instead of full screen and flickers. It doesn't do this when I turn off compiz/advanced effects. Is there a way to make BZFLAG work properly without having to manually disable desktop effects each time I want to run it?
I think turning off "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" in CompizConfig Settings Manager under the "General" tab should do it. When running bzflag with Compiz, I notice that there is quite a bit of lag and things slow down, although this might not happen for you.
PETER wrote:From my experience gnome (what Ubuntu uses) is a bit rubbish doesn't work well with most stuff. You should try KDE, you can find it in synaptic.
Compiz is a window manager. Desktop environments should have nothing to do with his problem, if anything, it should be compiz itself, as it uses OpenGL
Peter
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Peter »

I know compiz is a window manager :) I was just saying that I have had similar problems with gnome, and that switching to KDE could solve them.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZFlag works fine on my Ubuntu 7.10 system with an nVidia 7600GT with Compiz enabled.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

big_dog1968
Private First Class
Private First Class

Better but still a problem

Post by big_dog1968 »

The fix worked to stop Compiz from forcing it into a windo and it is not as bad, but there is still an issue. Now there is a kind of flicker that is like a horizontal bar that kind of works its way up the screen and starts at the bottom again. Also it seems to run sluggish as well.

Is there a way to automatically shut Compiz off while BZFLAG is running and have it back when BZFLAG is off?

Or barring that, a simple on/off for Compiz, so I can quickly disable it to run a game, and quickly re-enable it when I am done?
NoWell
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Better but still a problem

Post by NoWell »

big_dog1968 wrote:Is there a way to automatically shut Compiz off while BZFLAG is running and have it back when BZFLAG is off?
sure there is a way.
create a wrapper script around bzflag. Name it for example "my-bzflag"

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
killall compiz
sleep1
bzflag
sleep1
compiz <your> <favorite> <compiz> <params>

put it in your ~/bin and give them exec rights

chmod u+x my-bzflag
now start bzflag with "my-bzflag"

ok ok, it's dirty but works :)
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Aren't you supposed to use:

kwin --replace
or

metacity --replace
and

compiz --replace
to change window managers? (works for Compiz Fusion, anyway)

FWIW, I used to have trouble with chattery performance while using Compiz, but either Nvidia fixed something in it's drivers, or Compiz fixed something, but BZFlag is now smooth as glass, and I don't need to turn it off. Ditto for running Unreal Tournament 2004. You've got better specs than my machine. Maybe the ATI driver is causing trouble?
MrsSmith
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MrsSmith »

Think_Different wrote:
big_dog1968 wrote:BZFlag starts windowed instead of full screen and flickers. It doesn't do this when I turn off compiz/advanced effects. Is there a way to make BZFLAG work properly without having to manually disable desktop effects each time I want to run it?
I think turning off "Unredirect Fullscreen Windows" in CompizConfig Settings Manager under the "General" tab should do it. When running bzflag with Compiz, I notice that there is quite a bit of lag and things slow down, although this might not happen for you.
SAME PROBLEM and......
wow...now it functions :)
I didn't think it would be so easy!
I Lav u!!! ^^
ps:sry for my english -_-'
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Welcome back, Mrs Smith... haven't seen you in quite some time.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
MrsSmith
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MrsSmith »

Donny!!!! I'm really happy of being here again!
I had problem with Vista -then hardly planed with Linux- and start university, and other things. But, I'll become over-sentimental, I really missed BZflag, and all you buddies...
Nice to see you again! :o
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

big_dog1968 wrote:The fix worked to stop Compiz from forcing it into a windo and it is not as bad, but there is still an issue. Now there is a kind of flicker that is like a horizontal bar that kind of works its way up the screen and starts at the bottom again. Also it seems to run sluggish as well.

Is there a way to automatically shut Compiz off while BZFLAG is running and have it back when BZFLAG is off?

Or barring that, a simple on/off for Compiz, so I can quickly disable it to run a game, and quickly re-enable it when I am done?
I posted about this a few weeks ago: http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=12751

This is not a fix for the problem, but you can just manage to play with no troubles by turning fancy desktop effects off. Go to System>Preferences>Apperance
then chose the "Visual Effects" tab and turn fancy desktop completely off (first option). This will most likely fix all your problems as the flicking is a problem with compiz.

You can turn compiz on doing the same again after you play.

This way around is equivalent to longhair's to run on a terminal "metacity --replace" (replaces the current window manager by the simple metacity manager) and "compiz --replace" (to replace the current whatever window manager by compiz).

I have checked both workarounds and both do the job.
happyzax
Private
Private

Re: Flicker with Compiz

Post by happyzax »

Try installing...

fusion-icon

it's in the Universe repository so make sure you have that enabled. You have to manually create a Startup Application entry with a command line like...

fusion-icon --no-start

Once it is running a tray icon appears that you can right-click on to change window managers.

Cheers
anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

big_dog1968 wrote:Now there is a kind of flicker that is like a horizontal bar that kind of works its way up the screen and starts at the bottom again.
This "horizontal bar" is probably a sync issue. Try turning on vertical sync in your GL driver and/or BZFlag. "/localset vsync 1" should do it. Or add "set vsync 1" to your config.

Also BZFlag works fine on my Ubuntu 9.04 system with nVidia GeForce 8600M GT with compiz enabled. Changing to KDE will not solve these issues as noted in earlier posts. This is an issue with BZFlag and compiz trying to do different things with the same screen. As you found out, once compiz is configured it will work. If there is more lag that is due to your video card performance or configuration.