bzflag+alsa

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzflag+alsa

Post by RedRock »

Doesn bzflag work with alsa? I jsut installed the dmix-plugin...for alsa and it works for xine as far as I know. Does somebody know how to let bzflag use alsa? Is it possible?

Thanks.
sussudio
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sussudio »

modprobe snd-pcm-oss
modprobe snd-mixer-oss

then use a mixer to actually turn your volume up, it's set to zero by default with ALSA.
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

nope

Post by RedRock »

no, that doesn't work ..I had those modules already, but thanks ..maybe I'm missing something else then??(config?) I tried the aoss-command liek I saw in the alsa-help-pages, but it doesn't work for bzflag.
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

BZFlag does not use ALSA natively, you need the OSS emulation layer (the modules sussudio mentioned). If it doesn't work, I'm not sure what's wrong. Do you have a soundserver blocking your soundcard? Some cards don't support multiple open channels in the hardware, and then ALSA won't support that either, which means that only one process can play sound. Xine is a KDE program (I think?), maybe it's using the aRts sound server? If aRts is running and your card doesn't support several channels, BZFlag won't be able to open the sound device.
david_v
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by david_v »

Hm, although the following solution will probably not work so well with BZflag (sound latency (delays)), you can try running it if everything else fails:

artsdsp bzflag

Or, if you use ESD:

esddsp bzflag

But as larsl says... Try closing whatever application is blocking, or just shutdown Arts or ESD altogether.

Dave
Challenge yourself, recruit Fortix tanks

Live BZFlag stats

Tomatoes rule!
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

xine is independent of whatever desktop manager you're using.

As was stated before, if you have any sound apps open while you try to run bzflag, bzflag will not be able to open the /dev/dsp device to play audio. You can start bzflag from the command line, and then quit. Then look right below the line where you started bzflag, if bzflag can't open the sound device, it'll tell you so. If this is the case, then find out what's open (usually, as mentioned before, some sound server like arts or esd), kill it, and try starting bzflag again.

If you have a dual-channel sound card, you can get the sound server and bzflag simultaneously playing music -- but I've never been sucessful with it.

Good luck.

Fiber
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

dmix

Post by RedRock »

dmix is an alsa-plugin for software-downmixing. It works with the new releases of the alsa-soundserver wich I use.

So, when an app asks for /dev/dsp, another app can also use /dev/dsp although you card only supports one soundchannel ata time .... dmix will mix them together.

P.S.: this should be under the alsa-stuff I earlier wrote sorry. Can a mod move this post?? thanks. SORRY.
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

since you're using software mixing, I'm of no help in this. Sorry :(

Peace
Fiber
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778