XP SP3 vs PCLinuxOS 2007 (live CD) -- Lag/Jitter/FPS rate..

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

XP SP3 vs PCLinuxOS 2007 (live CD) -- Lag/Jitter/FPS rate..

Post by trpted »

I found something very strange.

The lag/jitter on my Windows XP SP3 computer is higher than my Live CD of PCLinuxOS 2007.

And the FPS on my Windows XP SP3 computer is lower the other OS (Live CD of PCLinuxOS 2007).

Anyone care to explain why (or how to figure that out..)?

Here is one of my previous threads, where you can see the lag/jitter/FPS http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=12459 - where I was on at least XP SP2. I may of been on XP SP3.

and here in this thread is the lag/jitter/FPS on my Live CD of PCLinuxOS 2007...

Thank you for your time and understanding. :)

PS. A separate issue is why on Live CD of PCLinuxOS 2007 I have no sound in BZFlag, but I will get help about that latter on (as need be). Right now, I need to know about the lag/jitter/FPS issue.
Attachments
pclinuxos bzflag.jpg
Live CD of PCLinuxOS 2007 LAG/Jitter/FPS rate..
(62.86 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

very low frame rates cause fake lag/jitter.

make sure you have the current drivers for your video card under XP.
ImageJeffM
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dereliction of duty »

sorry I cannot give you an answer you are looking for, but for the last 3 computers I've had they were dual boot. MS and some flavor of linux.

I've always had better performance on the linux distro's than MS.

Not trying to start a "what's better" thing here so please everybody, let's not go there.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Audio on linux can be an issue with some of the less popular (or newer) audio chipsets. I've had pretty good luck with it, but I do have a laptop that I can't get audio fully working on.

Anyways, 23FPS is quite low. If you're getting even lower in Windows, that's bad. You should be trying to get 50 to 100 FPS. It's possible you don't even have 3D acceleration and that's all CPU. If so, then maybe the linux implementation of software OpenGL is faster than the Windows version. I can get a solid 40 to 60+ FPS on my 1.6GHz Pentium M laptop with an Intel 855 graphics chip in Windows. I'd consider that a fairly low end machine, and yet I'm still getting a fair FPS.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Ok.

The brand and model of my computer.

HP Pavilion 6746c-L.

Upgraded the amount of RAM to 512 MB.

Would you like me to run any tools that can tell you the other hardware (and or software) that I have? Just to name one such tool, Belarc Advisor..
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the video card will be the key, what is it?
ImageJeffM
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

[quote="JeffM"]the video card will be the key, what is it?[/quote]

I did not know that, thank you. :)

As requested the key is "Intel(R) 82810 Graphics Controller (MS Corp)."

Current driver date: 6/8/2001 - Version 6.13.1.3198 - Driver Provider Intel Corp - Digital Signer MS Windows Publisher.

Note: Where MS stands for Microsoft, and you can guess what I meant by Corp..
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yeah, good luck with that graphics chipset. You are not going to get good performance on it. I have one like that in another machine. I would recommend finding a PCI graphics card like the GeForce FX 5200 or GeForce 6200 if you can. I think that would help dramatically. (That's assuming you don't have an AGP slot in the computer, which, if you do, get an AGP card instead)

Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130188

However, I think you might need a better power supply for a different card. I found your system specs and it mentioned a 90W power supply. That card above recommends a minimum of 250W. The video card wants 18 Amps on the +12V rail, but that 90W one can only do 1.5 Amps...

Source: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... h06042#A16
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Ok..

Interesting.

I have installed new hardware before in my computer.

I know how easy would it be to install a PCI card into my computer, I have done that before. :)

-
How easy is it to install a new power supply?

[EDIT] I looked around

#1 I found the directions :)

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... duct=57589

#2 and I got a warning.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... duct=57589

WARNING: To avoid damage to the system board or power supply, do not exceed a total of 120 watts power draw.