Blurry hud

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Blurry hud

Post by Carnage »

have tried many settings but nothing really seems to help..

whenever i play bzflag thrugh HUD and turn my tank (left or right) the wall corners, pryamids and tanks are blurry as well shots on HUD are blurry and hard to see.

my pc specs:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... ct=1847040

ive upgraded my grapic card to NVIDIA Geoforce 7900 GS

i have tried different qualities (low-experimental).
i also have all of my hardware up to date

would i need to upgrade hardware to fix this problem?

any help is appreciated,
-carnage
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Blurry hud

Post by JeffM »

show us a screenshot
ImageJeffM
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Additionally it wouldn't harm to tell us your OS.
Carnage wrote:whenever i play bzflag thrugh HUD and turn my tank...
I assume you implicate, that whenever you play bzflag not through HUD, namely through a monitor then the blur-effect doesn't occur?
Carnage wrote:whenever i play bzflag thrugh HUD and turn my tank (left or right) the wall corners, pryamids and tanks are blurry as well shots on HUD are blurry and hard to see.
In that case the pixel-switching-time of your HUD vendor is bad. Tell us your HUD vendor name, maybe we can find out more details about its pixel switching time. (However vendors like to manipulate [massively] the true switching time...)
Carnage wrote:would i need to upgrade hardware to fix this problem?
Yes, get a new HUD with a better switching time. (Naturally, I would buy it in a shop where I have the right to test the HUD or where I could give the product back in 14days. So in worst case scenario if your new HUD would have even worse "switching times" you could give it back without problems :) )
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

wow...
yeah, z[h]ero, the HUD is the Heads Up Display in game, not monitor. He has not mention his display device at all.

What would OS have to do with anything regarding how we draw?

It may be his display, but that's why I asked for a screenshot, if it looks fine in a screenshot, then it it is probably just a cheap display, but best to actually WAIT to see if that is the issue, rather then make poor assumptions and continue to confuse people like you are wont to do.

Carnage.
Does it only seem to happen when you turn? and is it more of a "shear" then a "Blur"? Do you have an LCD display? You may wish to try turning on vertical syncing in your video driver (it may be called Sync to vertical interrupt, or something like that) if you are on an LCD that has a slower refresh rate. There can be issues on those displays when the frame rate is too fast for them to update an entire frame.

I would like a little clarification about what you mean when you say you play "bzflag thrugh HUD". Does that mean there is a mode where it does not look blurry?
ImageJeffM
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

JeffM wrote:What would OS have to do with anything regarding how we draw?
Cause the GPU-drivers for a certain OS don't always draw like they are supposed to do.

Also he has not mentioned that it isn't a display device. So I don't see why it is so clear to you, that he isn't talking about a HUD-Hardware-display.
Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

he hasn't mentioned ANYTHING, positive or negative, so let him answer before you say thing else.
ImageJeffM
Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

and im using a lcd flat screen

its alot worse out of the screen shot, when i say hud i mean anything outside radar
Zac
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zac »

well it doesnt seem to effect your gameplay :P :P :P
red-der
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by red-der »

Do you play in your monitors native resolution? Some monitors do the resizing of an other than the native resolution really bad. Especially if you move.

So.. to clear things up, maybe you can give us:

Type of monitor and native resolution
The resolution you play with (and if its 16 or 32 bit)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Technically, the HUD is things like the scoreboard, radar, console, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-up_display

Carnage, what video card are you using? Does it still have any blur if you increase the quality to Medium or High? (Assuming you're on Low because there is no grass texture)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

its experimental quality, i changed the ground cause i didnt like the grass
graphic card:NVIDIA Geoforce 7900 GS

red-der :
1280x1024 @75Hz 32 bits
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

So in other words, you changed the ground texture to look like the ground in the Low quality setting? I just tried that, and it looked horrible. (Wasn't just blurry, but the lines were all wavy. But I'm on a Intel graphics chip..).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

im not talking about the ground, i use that setting so its easyier to see shots on radar, what is blurry is tank edges, building edges, shots ect.. i think it might be my refresh rate when i turn and look @ a building, it glitches to display
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Do you have vsync turned on?

Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

in game i have
/localset vsync 1

on Nvidia control panel
Vertical sync was on use 3d application setting, changed to force on.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Yeah it's not going to be your video card, it's probably just a monitor that has a slow refresh. As that screenshot looks fine to me.

The term for what I believe you seeing is called "shearing" or "tearing". Where part of the display is showing the image from one frame, while the rest is showing part from an older frame.

The things to try are;

1) vsync ( may not do much, since LCDs don't actually have one, it's faked).
2) frame limits, turn on power saver and try different frame rates ( start at 30 and move up)
3) try a different monitor.

Sadly some cheap LCDs just can't change pixels very fast. It has nothing to do with the video card or software, it' just a limit in the actual monitor.
ImageJeffM
Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

thx for the replies, will try fpsLimit soon.
Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

i have a max fps of 65-75 when i dont use a limit, think im going to have to get a crt screen :(
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

Carnage wrote:in game i have
/localset vsync 1
IIRC only the svn trunk version has this feature, not 2.0.x and even in svn trunk it's not exactly vertical sync to prevent big framedrops (if FPS is lower than 60 then it will not vync it, at least in Mac OS X). I do not think it would influence blurriness but tearing and framedrops.

The screenshot you provided does not look blurry to me.

Make sure you use the native resolution of your display!

Please note regarding pixel response time the cheapest panel technology (TN) is usually the fastest, while IPS/S-IPS/AS-IPS/IPS-Pro is slower but "more linear" and MVA/-SMVA/PVA/S-PVA is worst (slow like the IPS panels but not really linear). In general I would say *VA panels are the worst panels regarding gaming, while all IPS based panels are competitive. TN will have lowest "image quality" but being really fast.

Overdrive technology will decrease the pixel response time but raise the overall time a display needs to update its contents (the display will not be as blurry as without overdrive but it will lag higher than a display without overdrive) and may cause ghost effects.

In general motion blur is common in flat screens because the panels use a sampling-and-hold technology. The only way to avoid this are solutions like blinking backlights etc (you can hardly find such displays) or to use display technologies not using sampling-and-hold (like CRT). Note: Motion blur in S&H technology is not "inside" the display but in a human viewers eye and brain.

Summary:
1. Pixel response time matters. You want fast pixel response time.
2. Display brightness and gamma matters when using TN or *VA panels.
3. Native resolution of LCD-displays will not matter in a direct way but anything will be blurry when not using native resolution or if one unit in resolution will not be mapped to entire pixels.
4. Vertical refresh rate of displays have some influence but almost all "computer LCDs" will use 59-61Hz internally anyway.
5. If there is not much ambient light then the display will look brighter and you will be able to see blurriness better.
6. You're more likely to see any blurriness with more FPS as movement will be smoother.
7. The hotter your room is, the better will be pixel response time.
8. The hotter your display is, the better will be pixel response time (display gets warmer during usage).
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
z[h]ero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by z[h]ero »

Carnage wrote:whenever i play bzflag thrugh HUD and turn my tank (left or right) the wall corners, pryamids and tanks are blurry as well shots on HUD are blurry and hard to see.
Carnage wrote:when i say hud i mean anything outside radar
@carnage: So that means whenever you play NOT through HUD you don't get the blurry issues, right?
@carnage: And what would be the meaning of: "Playing not through HUD"? From your description it would mean to play inside the radar? I don't get the difference between playing "through" and playing "NOT through" HUD, please clarify.

The screenshot is wierd, wondering why noone noticed/cares about the wierd pyramids with the green top and an RED point? (I attached a picture). I can't imagine that anyone changed the pyramids of the original HIX map intensionally like that.
@Carnage: On which server did you took the screenshot? (servername? and port-number?)
Attachments
wierdPyramidWithGreenTop.png
wierdPyramidWithGreenTop.png (17.81 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
Carnage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Carnage »

zhero, its to aline with pyramid jumps, custom pyramid pictures are not considered a 'mod'