UDP

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

UDP

Post by gentle giant »

I am limited to play servers that are at the botttom of th hot list. Whenever i get onto the really packed servers and take a shot, it will say "turn on UDP". I have no clue what it is or how to turn it on.Could someone explain it to me (without making it sound confusing) how to turnit on, i would grately appreciate it. Thanks, gentle giant
My motives from an awesome teacher:

"If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

"If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail"
slime
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: UDP

Post by slime »

Try using the 'search' function, or just reading through a few topics next time, to see if someone else is having this problem as well. In fact, I would assume there are well over 15 total topics or so on this issue. That being said, try disabling your firewall, and see if you still have the problem.
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

I read the other UDP forums and turned off my firewall, and it is still not allowing me to play on most servers because of UDP. Any other things you can think of? :( gentle giant

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Search and read the 100's of UDP posts. It may be ISP related.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

I read so many and they gave me so much information and it still does not work. I am on a toshiba laptop and have windows. I enabled all the udp and tcp on my firewall and turned off the firewall. I also turned off mcaffee and it still does not work. I feel as confused as a box of rocks. :evil: :(

Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Positive Gravity wrote:It may be ISP related.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Also make sure you have the latest drivers for your network card.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

You are correct Positive Gravity, it is isp. I have a weak cable modem from charter. Thank you all for all the feedback. It helped me and will also help people reading for help about udp. gentle giant :)

gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

...After one year of cold, hard searching for my udp problem, I am almost 100% guranteed what the problem was. I had an outdated and sucky router. I have an ambit model number: 60678EU. I googled that and only found a list of complaints. I even found a person selling it on ebay, that tells the truth. Then, i decided to go to charter and find the router or other routers. I didnt even see it as an available router. What a scam. Now, my question to any of you smart tankers, is what router of these following have udp in them. These are for charter.com so im thininking these will be the ones i can probably choose from.

Ambit U10C004
Webstar DPX100
Webstar DPX110
Motorola Surfboard 3100
Motorola Surfboard 4100
Motorola Surfboard 4200
Ambit U10C018
Motorola Surfboard 5100
Motorola Surfboard 5120
Scientific Atlantic DPC2100

i have a feeling the higher nember for the moto surboards is more updated and more likely to have udp, but im not taking any chances. So if any one could be so kind to feed me the info, thnx

gentle giant

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

They all have UDP. Some routers (or maybe modems?) just have buggy implementations that lose the session after a while. Personally, I use a Linksys BEFCMU10 (version 4) cable modem and a Linksys WRT54G (version 2, quite old) router. I think my modem is slowly dying, so I have a newer model replacement waiting in a box (also a linksys). Before the linksys, I had some D-Link modem. Both of them worked fine.

From a quick glance at a few of those models you listed, they are cable modems, not routers. Do you have a router? Or do you just directly connect your modem to your computer? (And if so, do you use USB or a network cable?)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

gentle giant
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gentle giant »

i get modems and routers confused sometimes, there modems im pretty sure. And i have a usb cable connecting to the ambit modem.

anomaly
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anomaly »

Most modems (cable or ADSL) have some router functionality. To use a router behind a modem you really should put the modem in bridge mode, although you don't HAVE to. If there is anyway to get off that USB connection and use ethernet you should. USB networking can be slow and buggy.