bzflag won't load

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
fantastic mr fox
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzflag won't load

Post by fantastic mr fox »

Hi,

whenever I launch bzflag, it only loads a black screen from which i have to force quit. Have tried re-installing it but the same thing happens. Any ideas? I'm running version 2.0.10 on OSX 10.5.6.
"I don't eat my friends" - George Bernard Shaw
joevano
General
General

Re: bzflag won't load

Post by joevano »

Delete or rename your configuration (config.cfg) file in ~/Library/Application Support/BZFlag/2.0.

A default configuration will be created next time you start. That usually will solve a problem like this. Generally some corruption was introduced into the config file which prevents the app from initializing correctly. Reinstalling does not affect the configuration file if there is one already there.

Let us know how it goes.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
fantastic mr fox
Private First Class
Private First Class

hmmm, I don't have a bzflag folder in application support.... !
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Are you sure you are looking in the right location? ~ refers to your home directory, not the system root.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fantastic mr fox
Private First Class
Private First Class

well, there is no bzflag folder in app. support. If I look in the package contents I can find quite a few config files under the SDLframework folder but they are all .h not .cfg ....
I have searched the rest of the mac and there is no trace of anything bz anwhere else. I'm stumped.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

What kind of system are you running? (specs, such as video card)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Wreckage
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Wreckage »

blast wrote:Are you sure you are looking in the right location? ~ refers to your home directory, not the system root.
fantastic mr fox wrote:well, there is no bzflag folder in app. support.
I installed bzflag on a mac a while ago late at night, not thinking correctly, and had a similar "problem". If this is not the case, I can't help.

Not quite sure if you mean you checked the other app. support folder (there are more than one I believe). If I recall correctly, open Macintosh HD and click on Users (either on the left or a folder) and then on your username, then on the Library folder, then there should be a app. support folder containing a BZFlag folder.

Just in case you didn't understand as I can't tell from your reply to blast. Otherwise oh well. 8)
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

You are looking in this "Library" folder, correct? (Of course it would be under your username...)

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
fantastic mr fox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks all for the detailed help. I had already looked there but on looking again i noticed a folder that was labelled with a series of random numbers. When i opened it, it contained files that were obviously bzflag but which had corrupted names. I don't know what has happened but i guess that's why i couldn't find it when i searched. I deleted it all and re-installed. There now appeared a BZFlag folder in my app. support but when i loaded the graphics weren't rendering properly so i went back in and found the cfg. file and renamed it. this has sorted the problem as you said it would joe.

Thanks again all! hopefully see you hunting soon.
fox