Sound problem on Linux

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
menotume
Major General
Major General

Sound problem on Linux

Post by menotume »

Arrrg, sound stopped working in my Linux client :x

It WAS working, but now sound/volume shows as 'unavailable' under the options menu. AFAIK, there are no other apps using sound, I have even rebooted and gone right into the client, but still no sound. The only thing that I can remember doing recently was enabling apache and mysqld, but I can't imagine why there would be a conflict there.

I have tried "lsof | grep /dev/audio" to see if anything has it open, but nothing does.

Does anyone know what the client is checking to determine that sound is unavailable?
orchid
Dev Godess
Dev Godess

Post by orchid »

are you using alsa? if so you need OSS emulation enabled I think, I dont use alsa yet, and my default dev is /dev/dsp

btw, it *should* be able to play sounds from mulitple devices at the same time, bz, xmms etc

what distro/kernel are you using?
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Ah ha! I found it.

I removed my config file so that all was set back to defaults, and sound was working again.

When I swtch the GUI 'quality' option from high to medium, that's when I lose sound. Perhaps this is a bug in 10.4

----------------------
Thx for the help, orchid. I didn't know about alsa, it looks interesting, the alsa site is now bookmarked for reference :)
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

arrrrrgl! :?

I take it back, sound is unavailable again. Even doing the same thing (removing the config file) doesn't fix it. And, I guess switching qualiy to medium wasn't the problem either. It's just that when I tried that the first time, that's when I lost sound. But now that it's gone again - it must be something else, something intermittant.

To bzg's question: distro=RH 9.0, kernel=2.4.20, Sound=nForce2 (on the mobo).

Sound works in other apps, just not in BZ. Downgrading to bzflag 10.2 didn't help. "lsof | grep /dev/dsp" doesn't show any other process having the device opened. I'll keep playing
menotume
Major General
Major General

Post by menotume »

Problem solved (twice).
esd was the problem, as well as my ignorance :)

Fix #1: run bzflag via esddsp, like: "esddsp bzflag". esddsp channels the sound device resources to the specified program. Thank you david_v for that suggestion.

Fix #2: compile bzflag from source instead of using the rpm binary. I guess that compiles esd support into the client. Thank you ben_l for that idea.