BZFlag GLX Errors

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag GLX Errors

Post by Spectre »

I've just switched my system from Debian 5.05 to Ubuntu 10.04. I'm using a GeForce nVidia graphics card (don't know exact specs) that worked on my Debian system. I did an apt-get install for nvidia-current, which is the most recent nVidia drivers. Fine. Before this, BZFlag started but was extremely choppy - even on the menus - even on lowest graphics settings. I went to start BZ after the driver update (from Nouveau) and it threw the following error:

Code: Select all

Could not set Video Mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual.
Error creating window - Exiting
GLXGears also refuses to run, throwing the following error:

Code: Select all

Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual
Do any resident cool-geeks have ideas?
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag GLX Errors

Post by Yrogirg »

I don't remember why, but in 10.04 I've ended up installing drivers from nvidia site and i had to turn off compiz, otherwise OpenGL apps worked badly.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

OpenGL acceleration in Nouveau isn't supported. Nouveau is a somewhat open-source driver being developed for nVidia graphics cards (I say "somewhat" because I think it still relies on a binary blob that exists in the Linux kernel in order to handle any 3D graphics).
Any 3-D functionality that might exist is still unsupported. Do not ask for instructions to try it.
You should instead use the "Hardware Drivers" feature to install nVidia's proprietary drivers.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

+1 to Blast's statement. My HTPC is running Ubuntu 10.04 and an nVidia GPU. Using the proprietary drivers (make sure all Nouveau items are uninstalled to prevent conflict), activated in Hardware Drivers (System > Administration > Hardware Drivers), I have absolutely no problems running BZFlag on it at good frame rates (good frame rates in this case being between 35 fps and 60 fps, depending on map, for a machine using an Atom chip with ION/GeForce 9400 chipset/embedded GPU and no overclocking).
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Spectre
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Spectre »

Funny story - the card turned out to be a 10-yr-old GeForce 2 Ultra. :P Hardware Drivers did find the correct software. BZFlag appears to be working now, I'll be trying some actual gameplay in just a moment. Thank you, blast, Avatar. That saved my BZLife :D
Keeping Latin alive in 2766 AUC.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Glad to be of service for doing Science!
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)