Simple Question - how to start the game?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Enverescape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Simple Question - how to start the game?

Post by Enverescape »

Hello world,

For various reasons, the version on my computer was outdated, and I ended up having to build the source. I finally got that done after about a half hour, now one question - how do I start it? No errors were shown during the make. I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.

Thanks,
Enver
blast
General
General

Re: Simple Question - how to start the game?

Post by blast »

Well, first, I'd make sure to uninstall the version that you installed from the Ubuntu repositories. Then, you can run 'sudo make install' from the source directory. You can then run 'bzflag' from the terminal. There should be a way to manually create a menu item as well, but I'm not sure of the steps.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

check http://www.playdeb.net/software/BZFlag there is deb package for 2.0.16
Enverescape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enverescape »

I need a modification to make it run on my computer and I can't use a prebuilt package.
I've run these commands:
[*]./autogen.sh
[*]./configure
[*]make
[*]make install

I followed the instructions in the guide at http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 68&start=0

But, when I run "bzflag" it says it's not installed!
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

Did you try to run it from the directory where the bin file is? Just run it from the directory where you have installed the game (in the bin folder). Otherwise you have to add this directory to your $PATH.

look google to see how to add to PATH
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

You sometimes have to be operating as an admin/superuser when you install things from source on Ubuntu, otherwise it ends up in a local bin rather than the global bin and won't run from terminal (I discovered this tendency the hard way when installing xine from source on my HTPC). You will need to sudo the "make" and "make install" commands, at the very least - but it wouldn't necessarily hurt to sudo all four commands. This inconsistant behavior is one of the annoying aspects to using Ubuntu and doesn't really help maintain the psychological purpose of sudo...
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You only need to sudo the make install. The rest should actually not be run as root. (I've run into issues before when I ran a checkout or build as root - may not be an issue anymore, but better to just avoid any problems)

Also, you should verify that it is actually building the client. Like someone said, see if the bzflag binary in the source is available. At the root of the source, run ./src/bzflag/bzflag and see if that works.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Enverescape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Enverescape »

@ blast
I've been sudo-ing the make install, but just in case I'll try a full sudo as he suggested. Also,
connor@enverbox:~/Downloads/bzflag-2.0.16 (2)$ ./src/bzflag/bzflag
bash: ./src/bzflag/bzflag: No such file or directory
Do you mean the cxx or h files/
@avatar
Nothing bzflag related is in the global bin, and all that's in the local bin is the server stuff. I did, however, find in the share folder images and an old or broken shortcut "bzflag". I'm not sure if this is left over from the previously-installed (with synaptic) bzf install It gives this when trying to open:
Details: Failed to execute child process "/usr/games/bzflag" (No such file or directory)
---

So, I ran
connor@enverbox:~/Downloads/bzflag-2.0.16 (2)$ sudo make install DESTDIR=/usr/local/games/bzf
That put the tree into that folder. I found that the files mentioned above were all from my current builds. It creates the shortcut mentioned above, that looks for the executable that doesn't exist. The next question is: why?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Basically, it looks like it didn't build the client. You'll have to determine what dependency you are missing and install them. Specifically, you probably need some -dev packages. Check the output from ./configure or read through the config.log (there WILL be some failures in there, but not all of them are relevant - for instance, there are multiple checks for OpenGL headers because not all systems have the files in the same place).