Can't get onto any server

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
ocmongoose
Private First Class
Private First Class

Can't get onto any server

Post by ocmongoose »

So I've been trying to play BZFlag on my MacBook Pro (Mac OS 10.5.8) but I can get to the serve list page but when I selevt the server I want to connect to and hit connect, it just gets stuck at 'trying'. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now (including deleting everything out of the application support file in my library. Any suggestions?
blast
General
General

Re: Can't get onto any server

Post by blast »

Do you have another computer on the same network that works?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ocmongoose
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ocmongoose »

I don't but I live in an apartment and they have their own wifi network and I tried using that, as well as plugging directly into the Ethernet plug in the wall, all on top of just using my own router and network. I've also tried taking my laptop to other spots on my college campus and using it there and no matter what network I'm on it still does the same thing. I'm guessing it must ave to do with some setting that's messed up on my computer but I don't know where to look.
Bambino
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bambino »

Try deleting your config.cfg file...it just might work :)
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -- Albert Einstein
GU League | Ducati League | OpenLeague
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Bambino wrote:Try deleting your config.cfg file...it just might work :)
uh... am i missing something?
ocmongoose wrote:I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice now (including deleting everything out of the application support file in my library.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

If all of your testing so far has been entirely on campus/dorms/school-managed areas, then it may be an issue with how the uni manages their WAN infrastructure. If this is the case, try to see if you can find some other area (preferably a private internet connection at a friend's place or something like that - just so long as you don't rely on the college for any part of the connection) where you can test out as an observer and see if you get the same result.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Uninstalling the game does NOT touch the configuration files.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

He did mention that he deleted everything out of his Application Support directory, which is where the configuration files are stored.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yeah, but has he tried reinstalling Windows?

cough

Here's a thought, though. Does bzadmin work?

ocmongoose
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ocmongoose »

Alright so I have tried networks not associated with the universities so that should eliminate that.

I just tried bzadmin and sure enough I was able to connect using that...
ocmongoose
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ocmongoose »

So I'm still having the same problems. I can access servers through terminal and bzadmin but when I try and play using the application BZFlag it just gets stuck after I click connect the the words trying appear. Help?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

What version of BZFlag are you using, and is it an official .app from SourceForge? If so, have you tried other version?

ocmongoose
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ocmongoose »

I've tried on 2.0.6, 2.0.8, and 2.0.10 and 2.0.16 ... none work. But I did notice when I go home to my parents (I go to university) that on their unsecured network I can play but at university, where all the networks including my own, are secured, I can't play.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Then it doesn't seem like it's a problem with BZFlag, but instead with your (or your university's) network. Note that bzadmin only uses TCP, while the game client uses TCP and UDP.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

They probably block it because you are supposed to be studying not playing video games.
ImageJeffM
ocmongoose
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ocmongoose »

It's actually through my private apartment too... BUT

last night after much work I finally figured it out. In system preferences -> sharing -> i had to check the box next to internet sharing.

i have no idea why or why it only worked on my open network at my parents and not any networks under the campus i go to school at but problem solved for anyone else who runs into the same thing