2.4 client for ubuntu

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Octavius
Private First Class
Private First Class

2.4 client for ubuntu

Post by Octavius »

Hello guys, I just got Ubuntu and I have no idea how to upgrade my bzflag to the new client. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: 2.4 client for ubuntu

Post by FangUp »

Yes 1st of all, use Fedora 14, its alot better. than it is simple.
To be or not to be. - W. Shakespeare
To bee or not to bee? I sure love Honee! - FangUp
Playing since 2005, with an unregistered nickname.
SkillDude
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SkillDude »

FangUp wrote:Yes 1st of all, use Fedora 14, its alot better. than it is simple.
Thanks for telling someone something that will not help them, I am sure they made a conscious decision to use Ubuntu.

Welcome to the world of Ubuntu!

Setup for BZFlag will require a bit of setup on your part, but there should be plenty of people to help you.

To start, grab the source code by opening a Terminal and typing in:

Code: Select all

svn co https://bzflag.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/bzflag/trunk/bzflag
If you want, you can grab a tarball and skip the above step, which needs to be auto configured. The tarball can be found at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bzflag/ ... 2/download

Once you have that, extract the contents of it either with the Archive Manager or with the command:

tar -xvf bzflag-2.4.0.tar.bz2
Now, navigate into the created bzflag-2.4.0 directory (Or bzflag directory if you grabbed from trunk). If you are grabbing the source code with svn, you will have to first do
./autoconfigure.sh

If you do not have GNU AutoConf,Automake, or Libtool, you will have to grab those, you can find more about setting that up at http://www.gnu.org/s/autoconf/#download ... ownloading, and http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/

Or if you just extracted from the tar file, you will just continue with the rest of the process below:

./configure
make
sudo make install
After running each command, make sure everything was successful.

Things to look for after each:

./configure.sh: Read the last few lines to verify the bzflag client will be built. If not, you may have to consult us about what to do to get your OpenGL setup working.

make: Make sure you get a bunch of "leaving directory" messages at the end, and not anything with "error" or "build error" messages. If so, you will have to consult us or search the forums.

sudo make install: If make worked, this will just create the links necessary to run the game globally.

Then you can type "bzflag" at the terminal (Without the quotes) and it will run the game!

Do let us know if you have any problems.

By the way, this is also in the wrong forum. This forum is for official game version releases. This topic belongs in Help: Setup/Hardware/Performance Issues.
Octavius
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Octavius »

Oh God, well I'm completely lost. I have no idea what I'm doing in the terminal. A bunch of lines of code appear when I type in make, but when I type in Bzflag, the terminal tells me the game isn't installed. Am I missing something?
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Octavius, just follow the 3 steps Sigonasr2 told you, i could tell you more in PM but i do not have premition to read/send PMs... so look my 1st point was truly useless. Since you are using Linux (like me) you have a Terminal/Console. Open it. Now follow step by step like Siognasr2 said. I think that it could not be more perfect set than that (: Good Job Sigonasr2. If you still do not understand i may chat to you in-game if you want Octavius. But it is pretty simple... xD
Octavius
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Octavius »

Okay, thanks. But should I uninstall the old bzflag file before compiling and installing the new one? Because when I run sudo make install, everything installs, but when I write bzflag to run the game, te terminal tells me that the client bzflag is not installed.
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

Ah i see, for the 1st question, no, you do not need to erase the old one it should do it automaticly, but for the matter that the new bzflag client did not get installed...i really do not know what to do. Well, try to scroll up and see what should it be installed and if you see a mistake in it, manually fix it. For more ask blast, he will know how to help you much more than i do. Just PM him, he knows how to explain each and every step (:
I wish you good luck!
FangUp
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by FangUp »

I am correcting myself, ask blast or Sigonasr2.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I would recommending uninstalling any BZFlag packages from your system before installing your compiled one. This will prevent the package manager from trying to upgrade/remove/manage your compiled version.

Also, make sure you actually have a bzflag binary built. From the root of your bzflag source, try to run ./src/bzflag/bzflag

If that fails, run configure again and read the output at the end. It will tell you what it will be building. If it says it won't be building the client, you'll need to figure out why. (Make sure you have g++ installed and the stuff mentioned in the README.Linux file)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

fox in the fog
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by fox in the fog »

That's seems so easy... I know how do that... I done that before. Unfortunately now with the new version of Ubuntu 11.10 I can't do it without getting any errors :/ ( http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17680 :: PROBLEM SOLVED )
What if I will (it's not a sure thing) post the .deb package of bz 2.4 in the right place? http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewforum.php?f=42