Update BZFlag on Debian

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Tangens
Private
Private

Update BZFlag on Debian

Post by Tangens »

Hi,

I am running BZFlag 2.0.10 Debian Linux and I see that I have to upgrade now. How do I do that? There are different versions on the download page, but I don't know which one I am supposed to use. (Not a huge Linux expert).

Tangens
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Re: Update BZFlag on Debian

Post by Cobra_Fast »

2.4 is the latest release of BZFlag.
If you know how to compile from source, you can download http://sourceforge.net/projects/bzflag/ ... z/download .
Otherwise try one of these debian packages which have been built for Ubuntu, which doesn't necessarily mean that they won't run on debian. It could be worth a try. http://static.bzexcess.com/downloads/ubuntu/
Tangens
Private
Private

Post by Tangens »

Thanks that worked. I installed the "ubuntu natty version".

Still though, I have this problem:

When I search for servers only three comes up. One of them is called "Please update your client at ..." so I thought that I needed to ugrade BZFlag. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Oh wait, when I do "bzflag -d" I get:
"
BZFlag version: 2.0.13.20080902-DEVEL-linux-gnu-SDL
BZFlag protocol: 0026
OpenGL vendor: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL version: 1.3 Mesa 7.0.4
OpenGL renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
Depth Buffer: 16 bitplanes
LIBCURL version: libcurl/7.18.2 OpenSSL/0.9.8g zlib/1.2.3.3 libidn/1.8 libssh2/0.18
"
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Those debs I posted are for Ubuntu, not Debian, so they may not work at all. In any case, it seems like your system is still using the 2.0.13 package from your debian repo, and not the .debs I built. You'd have to install the .debs manually using dpkg, not apt-get or aptitude.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Tangens
Private
Private

Post by Tangens »

I got bzflag completely removed. "dpkg --get-selections | grep bzflag" gives me nothing.

So I can't use the packages from above for Debian? (I can install, bzflag-data_2.4.1.20111031-1_all.deb, but the other two don't work since "package architecture (amd64) does not match system (i386)".

I don't know how to compile things from source, so is there anything else that I can do? (Hopefully this is not the end of playing BZFlag...)

Tangens
Cobra_Fast
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Cobra_Fast »

Well in that case, you would have to compile from source, or wait for a package for your architecture.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yeah, they were built for 64-bit Ubuntu, not 32-bit Debian. At a minimum, you'd have to be running 64-bit Debian to even have a chance of them working, and ideally you'd have to be running 64-bit Ubuntu of the specific versions I built it for.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)