High Jitter?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
laxgoaltender
Private
Private

High Jitter?

Post by laxgoaltender »

When I play, I rarely go over 5% of my Wireless network, which is 130 Mbps, yet on every server that I go on, I end up getting alerts about high jitter. I run at about 30 FPS, so my computer handles it fine. Any ideas on how to fix it?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: High Jitter?

Post by JeffM »

don't use wireless, it has jitter regardless of how much of it you use. it is not a bandwith issue. 30 fps is also a little low.
ImageJeffM
laxgoaltender
Private
Private

Post by laxgoaltender »

:cry: wired is not an option (it would be at least 100 feet)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

There is no setting in bzflag that changes jitter, it is due to the fact that your lag is not consistent, that is ether your network or an unstable framerate that is slower then your lag time.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

100 feet is a pretty good distance from the access point, and I'm assuming there is some walls between your laptop and the access point as well. So, your wireless signal is probably not very good. This will only make the jitter worse than it would already be. You could try moving closer to the access point, or changing the wifi channel. If someone else in the area uses the same or similar channel, this could cause interference with yours. The usual channels to try are 1, 6, and 11 as these do not overlap.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Also make sure that you have the latest drivers for the wireless card in your laptop (from the manufacturers web site). If you have access to the access point it is also a good idea to make sure it is running the latest firmware available. Drivers and firmware can play a big role in the quality of your connection over wireless as well.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

if you have an old cell phone lying around, this cheesy video might help increase your signal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8Wi7XRXCA

Never tested that before, so I don't know how well it actually works.