FPS Lag Issue

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

FPS Lag Issue

Post by Mopar Madness »

About a year ago I upgraded from an NVidia GeForce 7500 LE to an NVidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB. My old 7500 LE automatically used V-Sync to limit the game to 75 FPS, my old monitor's refresh rate. Since upgrading, I have tried using power saver in game and V-Sync out of game to limit my new GPU to 60 FPS, my new monitor's refresh rate. Without limiting the FPS, my FPS bounces around from 400 to over 1000 depending on the map and section of the map. This makes some jumps I need to make on the Hix map impossible to make, so I need to keep my frame rate low, also I hear those extreme frame rates are bad for the GPU. No matter what method I use to limit the FPS, in game w/ power saving option or out of game with NVidia V-Sync, whenever there are explosions in game, it causes my FPS to drop dramatically, down to probably below 5 FPS, its really annoying and causes unnecessary deaths. Is there any fix for this? This happens on both 2.0.16 32Bit windows and 2.4 64Bit windows copies of BZFlag.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: FPS Lag Issue

Post by ahs3 »

Not sure in windows but there is a nvidia control center for Linux where you can set vsync. I would think there would be on Windows as well.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

This doesn't sound like a vsync issue. Can you post a screenshot of your Graphics Settings menu? Might be something set in there that's screwing up your performance.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

Here's my settings right now. Off screen on NVidia Control Panel is Texture Quality-- High Quality, Threaded Optimization-- Auto, Tripple Buffering-- off, V-Sync Use 3d Application setting. Also I upgraded my RAM from 2GB to 4GB at the same time I upgraded the GPU.
Attachments
GPUSettings.png
(572.66 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

In nVidia, you may need to create a profile for BZFlag:

Click on the "Program Settings" tab from the page shown in your screenshot.

Click the "add" button, navigate to your BZFlag application folder (usually somewhere in either "\Program Files" or "\Program Files (x86)"), and select the bzflag executable.

Make sure bzflag.exe is now selected in the dropdown list.

Scroll down the list of settings on this page and change "Vertical Sync" to "Force on".

Click "Apply" at the bottom of the page.

nVidia will now hook bzflag to VSync whenever you play, but leave all other programs using the original default.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)