New Router and New Lag Issues

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Router and New Lag Issues

Post by rustlerspeed »

Hiya,
This problem has been very hard to cope with and I think its time to ask for help. I recently got a new Cisco EA4500 router, and when I got all excited for a better playing experience, it was the opposite. I excessively lag at almost every server and go 'nr' quite often, not allowing me to play. This even happens in observer mode. If there is anymore information you need to help me, I'll be glad to give it to you, if you know what your doing. (Also be happy that your helping.) Due to this problem its hard to be the best admin I can be a multiple servers, so I would like to get the problem fixed right away.

Beforehand, with my old router there was no problem with bzflag, so I don't think its my computers 'specs'. Also tried neighbors wifi, and bzflag works fine.
Thanks for everything!
Whatever doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: New Router and New Lag Issues

Post by JeffM »

Your router is probably having problems with UDP packets, or blocking them. Make sure it is configured correctly.
ImageJeffM
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Thanks for replying so fast Jeff, really glad to talk to you, and for the help. Anyways I'm sure I configured it correctly but how can I check to see if my router is not blocking packets. From this high end router made for streaming and media, I'm pretty upset now with the performance.I've gone through the default gateway in browser to get into my router, everything seems to be fine.

Anything helps :D

Also I've asked around before posting because its not good to post something for something that can be answered easily, but something about 'changing channel'? Sorry for the possibly irrelevant topics. Again thanks for replying so fast. I'll do my best to do what you say.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Try being wired directly to the router. If the issues goes away, you've narrowed it down to just the wireless. If it persists, it's something with the router in general.

And yes, trying different channels can help. You could run some wifi scanner like inSSIDer to find out what channels are in use around you and pick something better. The usual three channels used on 2.4GHz, at least with Wireless B/G, is 1, 6, and 11. I don't have any 5GHz equipment (nor any wireless N) so I'm not sure about more current wireless tech.

(Also, some modern routers can automatically pick the best channel to use automatically by scanning for nearby networks)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

If you are playing over wireless make sure that the driver for your PC for your wireless card is up to date. And also make sure you are running the latest version of ios on your router.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Again, thanks for the quick feedback. First and foremost, when I try wired everything is fine. But I can't be connected with wired all the time so I'm looking for performance on wifi. So even though your 'tip' helped me in a way, its not the solution I'm looking for. Though greatly appreciated.

Next, I'm willing to try both of blast's and joevano's tips. This is probably very silly to ask but, how would I use "inSSIDer". I already know that I am about 30 feet away with two walls in between the router and computer.

Next, how would I make sure the driver in my laptop is up to date, and ios software in router is up to date. I thought it would be fine since this is a very new router (from market and out of the box).

My router is also capable of 5GHz so would that help?

Thanks for everything guys, I'm really starting to narrow down the problem and solution!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Oh god.. I just realized the router you have is one of the "cloud connect" routers... bleh. I'd take it back and buy something that doesn't suck and doesn't spy on you.

http://www.tech.slashdot.org/story/12/0 ... y-tracking
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

rustlerspeed
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rustlerspeed »

Oh wow... I spent $200 dollars for it and the news gets worse... But I haven't installed cloud connect and can't take it back right now. Anything I can do though to still make bzflag's performance better?
Baap
Private
Private

Post by Baap »

Hello... I am from India. I use 1mbps Broadband connectivity and the connection is internally distributed through a cat6 cabling of 100mbps bandwidth. I get high lag even when with nil downloads going on and also when no other computer is in use. Pls help.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

Most servers are in the US... the only thing that could possibly help is moving closer to the US. It takes a long time for a packet to travel half way around the world and back. There are some Australian and European servers that likely would perform better for you.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

This could possibly help you find servers closer to you that may have lower lag:
http://bzexcess.com/geolist/