Radeon X600 & XT 2400 unplayable

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Squirrel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Radeon X600 & XT 2400 unplayable

Post by Squirrel G »

As title says...

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. With either card on Dell 745 i945 chipset 1-->2 frames on unusable settings. Generic OpenGl driver.

With both cards removed and integrated graphics, Voila! Looks pretty good.

Experience index with XT 2400 4.9, without; and integrated, 3.2!

Please help. Never any issues with integrated. Oh yeah updated drivers from ATI, but they are the same as the windows built-in drivers.
blast
General
General

Re: Radeon X600 & XT 2400 unplayable

Post by blast »

Those two cards need different versions of the AMD/ATI drivers. Are you sure you installed the right drivers? The X600 is also not "officially" supported by AMD under Windows 7 as they only provide up to a Vista driver, while the 2400 does have a proper Windows 7 driver.

I'd recommend you use the HD 2400 XT and uninstall all the video drivers from the "Programs and Features" control panel, and then install this driver:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... sta64.aspx
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Squirrel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Squirrel G »

That's the one I used. Turns out that's the same one in 7. When I installed the X600 afterwards to check, it installed a similar driver but 1 instead of 1.1 or something IIRC.

Thanks. Any more suggestions?

Yup large download but only 20 or 21 megs of used for the driver.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Avatar »

Run the package downloaded from AMD anyway - Microsoft is (or at least for a very very long time, was) notorious for removing the OpenGL component on the drivers you get from them, leaving you with only the generic software emulation. The download from AMD should reinstate OpenGL hardware acceleration, so long as you remember to COMPLETELY remove the Microsoft version (temporarily downgrading to the generic VGA drivers) before installing.
And the lesson for tonight is:

Never underestimate the ability of a newb to expect instant success and cry "cheat!" when they don't get it. Don't hate the newb, just give them plenty of learning opportunities. ;)
Squirrel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Squirrel G »

I DID download/install it after first letting windows do it. As reported they are both 1.1.1 IIRC. That big driver is an umbrella. It only boiled down to about 20MB installed.

-->quote from original post of thread: Oh yeah updated drivers from ATI, but they are the same as the windows built-in drivers. Thats where I got'em.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

The important part is reverting the drivers back to the 'Generic VGA' before installing the ATI ones. While they are both 1.1.1; they probably are not identical and having the windows ones loaded may be preventing additional components from loading.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln