[SOLVED] Can't turn right or reverse

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Home Guard
Private First Class
Private First Class

[SOLVED] Can't turn right or reverse

Post by Home Guard »

It's bizarre. Have just installed the old 2.0 on a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 to test performance on my new PC. I can't turn right or reverse (mouse works normally for other things). So I also tried compiling 2.4 and got the same problem.
If I set the mouse to be 'confined to mousebox' it is only limited up and left, not right or down.

I can't find any similar reports - anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Last edited by Home Guard on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One day, I'll get a positive score....
mr64bit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Can't turn right or reverse

Post by mr64bit »

Could it be that the mouse is not centered, or isn't where BZFlag thinks it is?
Disclaimer: I really have no idea how the BZFlag client uses the mouse, this is just what makes sense to me.
---mr64bit
mahem1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mahem1 »

I know had this issue before and brought it up on the IRC chat channel. It's a computer problem, as opposed to a bzflag problem.
Try resizing the window in 'windowed' view. I believe that is what worked for me.
Lag makes me miss all of the good stuff.
And random bans..........
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yrogirg »

yep, I remember having something similar and that's true, going to window mode and back solved the problem for me.
Home Guard
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: [SOLVED] Can't turn right or reverse

Post by Home Guard »

Thanks, that's done it. Running in windowed mode works ok.

Just to document it - it's a compliled version of 2.4 running on Ubuntu 12.04 (i.e. I used "make install" etc). If I simply press "F1" to enter windowed mode, that doesn't help, I just get a black window, even if I try to resize it, and it cannot be closed. However, running "bzflag -windowed 640x480" from the command line, and then mazimising the window works fine (just remember to select "confine mouse to window" from the options). Note, opening in windowed mode and then pressing F1 causes loss of mouse function also.

Interestingly it must be a function of the hardware under Ubuntu, as the windows version (it's a dual boot) worked fine out of the box.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Was this an SDL build of the game? Look for the "SDL" in the output of 'bzflag -version'.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Home Guard
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Home Guard »

blast wrote:Was this an SDL build of the game? Look for the "SDL" in the output of 'bzflag -version'.
Looks like it. What's the significance?

~$ bzflag -version

gives:

Code: Select all

BZFlag client 2.4.2.20130817-MAINT-linux-gnu-SDL (protocol 0221) http://BZFlag.org/
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Okay, that's fine. SDL is the more tested solution on Linux compared to the native Linux platform code. Was just curious if it was a non-SDL build causing the issue.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Home Guard
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Home Guard »

The build is not entirely happy on this OS. Enemy tanks flash colours sometimes on the radar, and shots can be white blocks out of the window. FPS is good though.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Sounds like a video driver issue. If you get the white blocks, you could try running the /retexture command to reload the textures. I sometimes have the white boxes happen after minimizing the game client.