Hangs: After Windows 10 Update

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
grumpy
Private
Private

Hangs: After Windows 10 Update

Post by grumpy »

Hi

I ran bzflag on a Windows 7 machine fine and it continued to work ok even after upgrading to Win10.
However, since the large Win10 update on 6th December 2015 this year, it's all gone a bit Pete Tong.

When I double click BZF 2.4.2 32 bit, nothing appears. No sound, no screen. Using Task manager I can see it running in the background. I have to use Task Manager to kill it off.

I installed BZFlag 2.4.4.20151115-RC2. This time I get the black screen, with the only the text [All Chat Server Misc].
Again, it does nothing else and I have to use Task Manager to kill it off.

Anyone else experienced this or similar?

I'm getting withdrawl symptons...
grumpy
Private
Private

Re: Hangs: After Windows 10 Update

Post by grumpy »

Sorry, I should have mentioned:
- running Win10 64 bit on i5 750 @ stock 2.67ghz, 4.00gb ram
- that I've tried uninstalling & re-installing.
- the graphics drivers ATI Radeon HD 4600 have not changed; dated 13/01/2015.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

NTH also had an issue with the Windows 10 update on a system with an AMD Radeon HD 7800 series card. I've got a few systems with an Radeon HD (or similar) GPU, so hopefully I can replicate it somewhere and find the cause.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

grumpy
Private
Private

Post by grumpy »

Cheers,
Just let me know if there is anything you would like me to try.
grumpy
Private
Private

Post by grumpy »

I used the windows tools to go back to the previous version of Windows (when bzflag did work).
After much grinding and restarting it eventually put itself back to an earlier release.

BZF still doesn't work, so it must me something else.

I've tried disabling Defender, MalwareBytes.
I've tried running it as Windows 7, 8, etc compatibility mode, runas Administrator .... nothing works for me.

The symptoms for the standard 2.4.2 build is it doesn't appear to run, but sits running in the background consuming 33% of a 4 core cpu.
The symptoms for the standard 2.4.4 build is it opens the black screen and eventually crashes.

Please, any ideas?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

For NTH, I believe changing the display scaling mode in the catalyst control center made the game work until a reboot, after which it would fail again. So it seems to be something with AMD's drivers. I have a Windows 10 install with an older AMD, but have not tried running the game yet. Hopefully tonight I will try it out.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Try running bzflag in a virtual machine, it might work.
Last edited by Zehra on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Running it in a virtual machine is definitely not ideal and performance will suffer greatly. It's more useful if we can actually fix the issue (or at worst, find a reasonable workaround). I've got a handful of systems at home with various generations of AMD graphics hardware, so I should hopefully be able to reproduce it on at least one of them.

EDIT: Also, if you reverted back from Windows 10, you may have a bunch of corrupted Task Scheduler items. There's a repair tool that will fix that: https://repairtasks.codeplex.com/

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Oops.
Seems that running bzflag in virtual machine might not be such a good idea.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread