BZFlag 2.4.2 does not work

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Lave
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag 2.4.2 does not work

Post by Lave »

When I click on the same I just get a loading circle for a short period of time, without the game actually popping up. I've tried uninstalling, nothing works. Any suggestions?
blast
General
General

Re: BZFlag 2.4.2 does not work

Post by blast »

What operating system? If you're on Windows 10 and have AMD graphics hardware, there's currently a problem running the game.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Lave
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lave »

That would be it. Any timetable for resolving this issue?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'm not sure at this point. There is a new beta driver I need to try yet to see if the issue goes away. I don't know if Windows 10 or AMD is at fault as the issue only occurs with modern-ish AMD hardware (which can run their latest driver) and Windows 10 with the latest updates (it worked fine with the same AMD hardware/drivers on an older Windows 10 build). The other possible fix will be to stop using our native Windows platform code and switch to using SDL2, which may not exhibit the issue, but that will take some work to set up for our Windows build process.

Due to the complexity of the issue (and the fact that only my router has an affected AMD GPU), it's been pushed back to 2.4.6 before a fix would be in place. However, 2.4.4 should hopefully come out in a couple weeks at most, and then 2.4.6 should be focusing on the AMD+Win10 issue with a short turnaround time.

As for a temporary workaround, you could try launching the "screen resolution" or the AMD control panel before launching the game (which only needs to be done once per Windows login session). You could also run the game windowed instead of fullscreen, and then set the 'Confine Mouse' setting to either Window or MotionBox in the Input Settings menu.

If you want to keep an eye on the issue, I have it reported on our GitHub issue tracker: https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag/issues/35
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)