bzflag unplayable with existing mouse polling rate bug

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzflag unplayable with existing mouse polling rate bug

Post by dereliction of duty »

Linux Mint 18 O.S.
BZFlag version: 2.4.6.20160702-MAINT-linux-gnu-SDL
Logitech M525 wireless mouse
mouse specs;
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/w ... mouse-m525
Maybe I'm reading that page wrong but "sensor resolution: 1000" which I believe means the mouse can handle 1000 polling rate

problem;

Up to LM 17.3, this used to only affect right-clicking. The right mouse button would go to sleep and typically not allow me to ID tank/flag being carried by someone else as well as right-click to spawn obviously. The way to get out of that is after dying, I have to use the I on keyboard to spawn and then right-clicking worked for a short while.

Setting mouse polling rate to 500 at the time seems to solve the problem 75 to 80% of the time. Back then I had not yet located any specs so was guessing at the rate.

With latest version of LM 18, both left and right buttons "go to sleep" often and basically make the game suitable only for observing today. Same situation as above, after dying I have to use "I" on keyboard to spawn and then mouse buttons work briefly.

Apparently there is some bug in the kernel which has been there for some time. At least that's the most I can gather. During searches that lead to bug report pages, everything changes to greek - at least for me, I can't make heads or tails of those bug reports and never found solutions thru those.

I found this post on the web that helps but does not come anywhere near solving it;

http://www.urbanterror.info/forums/topi ... on-ubuntu/

I've adjusted /etc/modprobe as stated there, but mouse polling rate is stuck at 0 using that solution.

I have had better luck running

sudo modprobe -r usbhid && sudo modprobe usbhid mousepoll=1

thru a terminal and then checking the polling rate using

cat /sys/module/usbhid/parameters/mousepoll

and it states 1, but that seems to solve or at least allow the mouse to function correctly 50% if I am lucky.

Sure - dual boot into Win7 is one method around this.

Looking for any assistance here as I feel this is above my limited linux tech skills and is getting very annoying.

Imagine in game you come face to face (turret to turret more like it) and right when you need to fire....click click click click click BOOM. You are dead because you couldn't fire. cutting back on the caffeine would mean I get less (useless) left mouse clicks I am sure - but isn't the answer here!

TIA for any help if possible.
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: bzflag unplayable with existing mouse polling rate bug

relocating the usb receiver/antenna for the mouse seems to help alot. Previously it was on the back of the pc, now it's on the front and closer to the mouse.

Every now and then I'll still get no response from either button but it's much better now.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

how is this a BZFlag problem and not just a problem with your crappy wireless mouse? Nothing in BZFlag specifically targets your mouse. BZFlag reads the mouse position once a frame from the OS, the rest is up to the OS and the driver.

If your wireless mouse sucks, get one with a cord.....
ImageJeffM
dereliction of duty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Never said it was a bzflag problem, please reference where I posted this Jeff.

Thanks for the crappy reply too. Noted.