CTF "base" question...

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

CTF "base" question...

Post by bamf. »

I'm currently running a little 3 team CTF map I made, nothing fancy. The wierd thing is the bases. Looking out of your tank the bases appear as they should appear. But when you look at them on radar, the angle of two of the bases (green & blue) looks off and the size of the base appears larger than it actually is.

I tested the bases with the map completely empty and it does the same thing, so it's not the buildings that are causing this. The only thing I can come up with is the degree of two of the bases (30 degrees), the 3rd base (redbase) is 0 degrees. If you look a the map, you'll understand why the degrees are different. With only 3 teams in a square world, I had to close of some of the exterior of the world to make each team base equal in positioning.

If you have any thoughts, let me know. Thanks.

bamf.
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dutchrai »

Why not send me the map so I can have a look at it? Should be easy to fix if it's not a bug 8)
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
[color=#405070:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
[/color:82d1e9b9a0]
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

ok, coming your way...

Post by bamf. »

I removed everything except the bases and it's still funky. I left a note in the .bzw file for you, let me know what you think. I think it's a bug.
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dutchrai »

Tx for sending me the bases map. Tested it and found the following:

BZFlag only allows SQUARE bases, of any size. They will be displayed correctly no matter the rotation. However, your bases are not square, they are 20x40. Change this to 30x30 or 40x40 and you'll be fine.

So..it's a bug..I guess..unless it's intentional that BZFlag enforces square bases :-)
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

that's not the issue...

Post by bamf. »

Actually, I've already had them as square boxes. Go ahead and change them to whichever size you want. If you set them to perfect squares, they will display on radar and out of the tank as perfect squares. The angle at which the blue and green bases are at is 30 degrees.
Go to radar zoom level 1 (biggest) and slowly drive around either the green or blue base (not the red base, this is set at a degree of 0), you'll see they appear at different "rotations" on radar and out of the tank. As I said earlier, out of the tank view is the correct rotation.

Thanks for your help.
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dutchrai »

I see what you mean, the rotation of the bases on the radar is definitely not correct. In fact, the rotation on the radar seems to be simply the opposite of the one in the real world. Definitely a bug then, you might want to report this at SourceForge.net :)

In the mean time I can't think of a work around for this one, so probably best not to rotate your bases.
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

must rotate :)

Post by bamf. »

Well, i could do that, but in order to keep the field even for the 3 teams, they need to be rotated. Thanks anyway.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

I changed the algorithm which draws the bases on radar and it can hopefully copy with any rotation and size. Check out current CVS version to test it.

bamf, are you positive that the bases are drawn correctly in 3D view and that capturing etc. works correctly?
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

Chestal,

Well, I'm pretty sure the degree and the dimensions at which the bases are set in the file is how they appear "out of the tank". As far as the view via the radar, that is funky.
The bzserver is running on a Win2k server (not linux, sorry, my linux box is an antique). Is the new CVS code compiled for win32? What is altered, bzflag or bzfs?
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

win32 builds

Post by MrApathyCream »

bamf,

I keep the current cvs win32 build available on my site.

http://www.chesco.com/~dbrosius/BZFlag/BZFlag.html

use 'downloads' link
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

bamf. wrote:What is altered, bzflag or bzfs?
The fix is client-side only. However, it might be a good idea to run 1.7g0+,I think you were running something older?
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

Thanks guys. When I get a chance, I'll try it out and let you know the results.
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

Downloaded 1.7g1, map looks proper. It also looks proper on 1.7g0, (I was originally running the server 1.7e6).
One thing with 1.7g1 though; All players who joined showed lagstats of over 400,000 ms. Obviously it was inaccurate. I even joined my server on the p.c. that is running the server and was over 300,000. I started the server running 1.7g0, the bases look proper out of tank and on radar, and the lagstats looked more "normal". Any idea what could cause the obscene lagstats on 1.7g1? I restarted the server (pc as well) and the same thing happened.
BTW --- I'm running the bzserver off of a win2k server.

bamf.
Spaceman Spiff

Lag

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm not sure what the deal was... but your server was quite laggy last night. Not thousands of ms or anything... but I was lagging around 500ms and some people on DSL were lagging about 300... true, I do lag.. but rarely THAT much. Anywayz.. just thought I'd let you know.. if that even helps any.
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

Thanks, but that is different from the problem I was referring to between version 1.7g0 and 1.7g1. The actual lag did not equal what was being shown in the stats (over 300,000 ms).
As far as your note about last night, we got dumped on here again (5 feet total in 2 weeks) with snow, about 2 feet last night. The power was fluctuating all night as well as internet connection. My current upload is 400k, download is 2mb. Under normal circumstances it should be sufficient for a small group of players (I have 6 currently allowed). Most U.S. and Euro players hover in the low to mid 100 ms.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

bamf. wrote:One thing with 1.7g1 though; All players who joined showed lagstats of over 400,000 ms.
Hmm, I never experienced this, but then I am not running the brand new bzfs code. I'll update to it one of the next days (if I find a timeslot where ducati is empty :roll: ). I don't know of any changes to bzfs which could cause a behaviour like this.