can not talk to list server after playing

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

can not talk to list server after playing

Post by trpted »

I am just wondering if anyone else has (or had) the issue that I am having.

As the subject line of this posting, says.

If I have been playing for a while on a server (or on servers), I can no longer talk to the list server.

Any ideas of what is happening and the fix (with out closing and re-opening BZFlag) is?

Please and thank you
blast
General
General

Re: can not talk to list server after playing

Post by blast »

That's a weird one. What operating system and version of the game are you using? What antivirus and/or firewall are you using? How long is "a while"?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

blast wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am That's a weird one.
I know that is why I posted this.
blast wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am What operating system?
From System Profiler and Benchmark (/usr/bin/hardinfo) -> Computer Summary Screen
-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 1992MB (1008MB used)
Machine Type : Mini Tower
Operating System : Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Logitech Inc. WingMan Force 3D
ImExPS/2 Generic Explorer Mouse
-Printers-
No printers found
-SCSI Disks-
ATA SAMSUNG SP0401N
SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148A
Please tell me if you need more specs besides the info above posted.

Note: I use bzflag -window 1090x960 to open it as a window as opposed (I guess that is the right word), going full screen by default, pressing F1 and then resizing the window to the size that I want it to be.
blast wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am version of the game are you using?
The most update that comes with the OS and version of my computer. Which is currently at

Code: Select all

user@pc-name~$ bzflag -version
BZFlag client 2.4.12.20171104-MAINT-linux-gnu-SDL (protocol 0221) http://BZFlag.org/
Copyright (c) 1993-2017 Tim Riker
While this happens on this version, I downloaded the code for a more recent version and complied (spell?) it and I am willing to test more recent version.

Code: Select all

user@pc-name~$ /home/user/Downloads/bzflag/bzflag-2.4.18/bzflag -version
BZFlag client 2.4.18.20190216-MAINT-linux-gnu-SDL (protocol 0221) http://BZFlag.org/
Copyright (c) 1993-2018 Tim Riker
^^
blast wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am What antivirus are you using?
I believe N/A.

Stated reason as to why I believe this is a N/A:

This is a Linux/an Unix computer that is not a server (of any kind [E-mail, HTTP/FTP, File and Print Sharing/Samba]) for Windows machines.

I have no Macs/Apples, only have IBM (spelling of next word?) compatiables.

For antivirus - Should I even though this a Linux/Unix computer that is not a server for Windows Machines?
blast wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am What firewall are you using?
For software - i use firewall-config to adjust the settings in it, so that is/would be: firewalld

For hardware - I have a Linksys E4200 hardware version one, running the third party firmware Tomato by Toastman. Exact = Tomato Firmware v1.28.0510 MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N K26 USB Nocat-VPN
blast wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:49 am How long is "a while"?
Unknown for sure. Maybe I need to more testing to be sure that it is that and not something else (such as leaving/disconnecting from the server and waiting to long [however long that is] before selecting find server.)

But an important thing about that. While I can't talk to list server after playing a while, I can still re-join the last server that I was (assuming that it is up and running - of course!) on.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

In the meantime while waiting for a reply, I did a test.

#1 Started a local server, by command line or script (like bash / shell script ).

#2 Told my computer to connect to localhost.

#3 Had bots and autopolit (sp?) enabled.

#4 While it worked like a charm, I could not reproduce the sysdrome (sp?) / sickness / issue / error - or what ever the right word for this would be.

#5 Maybe I need to use another computer as the server and connect to it from both computers via LAN IP Address instead of localhost (aka:127.0.0.1) and see what happens then?
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

* Bump update *

Again I tested but this time, used another computer as a server and connected by LAN IP Address.

The result = The same.

I wonder how many more clients it takes to reproduce the issue? Because I am unless mistaken only the server talks to the clients..

OR if it takes certain map(s)?

OR my client does not like being disconnected by the server (new map on server, kicked because of to much lag, ETC..)?

^^

It should have nothing to deal with my router or modem as I did not need to restart them. As well nothing to deal with the ISP as, I did not change my ISP somehow to resolve being able to connect to list server or to the last server that I was on (assuming that is up and running).
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

Then, to put things clear: you play some time on any server, you leave it (by "leave", "quit" or F12) and, then, you can't see anymore the servers list, right? Or you can see the servers list but you can't connect to any server anymore (apart from the one you were playing before)? What do you do then (to play again)? Do you just reset the computer? Does (all of) this happen always (online; not locally) or there are some exceptions?

When you say "same result" for the local server-clients test (clients on other computer/s different from the server), do you mean "same" either as "same issues" (you got problems) or as "same no issues" (you got no problems)?
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

alfa1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm Then, to put things clear: you play some time on any server, you leave it (by "leave", "quit" or F12) and, then, you can't see anymore the servers list, right?
I just leave the server. The program remains open.

Not sure if the details are after leaving the server:

#1 I just leave it at the Join Game Screen?

#2 or maybe I press esc once? I have the following options shown: Join Game, Options, Save Settings, Help and Quit.

#3 Or maybe I press esc twice?
alfa1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm Or you can see the servers list but you can't connect to any server anymore (apart from the one you were playing before)?
While I can not connect to the list server, I can connect the last server that I was on.

Not sure at this time if I can or can not connect to any other server other that the one that I was last on - not tested yet. But when if and when it happens again, I will test that. Just need to find a way to find other servers besides with-in BZflag.
alfa1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm What do you do then (to play again)? Do you just reset the computer?
Just close BZflag and reopen again. There is no need to reset/restart the computer. If that should happen I need to reset/restart the computer I will post that info.
alfa1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm Does (all of) this happen always (online; not locally) or there are some exceptions?
Not all of the time. There are exceptions. Unknown what triggers this to happen.
alfa1 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:25 pm When you say "same result" for the local server-clients test (clients on other computer/s different from the server), do you mean "same" either as "same issues" (you got problems) or as "same no issues" (you got no problems)?
Same No issues - Got not no problems.
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

Sounds to me like if they were temporal networking problems. Check local connections first. But also consider they can be related to Internet provider, BZFlag services, servers services (if you don't always get the "can't talk with list server" message) or also normal Internet failures (it's not perfect, though it should be rather stable). Also, when you are playing, check your connection values with 'o' several times, to see if they look good. Do you anytime see the "[nr]" ("not responding") message on any player's callsign included yourself?

To know proportion: of 10 times you play, how many of them do have the problem?

If you can't see the servers list but you can connect to the last server sounds like a servers list problem. Try several times to read it (by pressing Esc and "Find Server"), giving it about 10 seconds to load. If it doesn't work, try copying servers addresses and ports from http://bzstats.strayer.de/servers/?lang=en to the BZ client manually and try connecting them (press F1 to windowize).

But, as blast said, it is weird. Try testing and documenting more, please :) .
BlueCoat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by BlueCoat »

Are you running a VPN??
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

The reverse issue may happen if list server requests are done by local proxy.
(As in the case of some server filtering scripts people may run.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

No I am not running or connected via VPN.

Unknown of the times that I play how often, but I got more info about it.

i am using the current data from http://www.bzstats.strayer.de/players/s ... ed&lang=en at the data and time of this posting.

From that URL
10 Last player sessions
Last Seen Session Time Team Score Server Game Style Version Description
2020-04-19 23:20:01 UTC 0d 00h 05min Observer 0
diver-sion.freemyip.com:5154
Capture-The-Flag 2.4.x [Fam@] - DiverSion: Clb/CTF *Robots* - [Am Sur]
2020-04-19 21:40:01 UTC 0d 00h 25min Purple -30
allejo.leaguesunited.org:5196
Capture-The-Flag 2.4.x Official Leagues United Match Server :: HiX :: New Jersey
2020-04-19 21:15:01 UTC 0d 00h 20min Red -15
allejo.leaguesunited.org:5198
Capture-The-Flag 2.4.x Official Leagues United Match Server :: Pillbox :: New Jersey
2020-04-19 20:55:01 UTC 0d 00h 20min Green -22
Capture-The-Flag 2.4.x Official Leagues United Match Server :: DucatiMini :: New Jersey
2020-04-19 20:35:01 UTC 0d 00h 15min Green -13
Capture-The-Flag 2.4.x Official Leagues United Match Server :: Pillbox :: New Jersey
2020-04-19 20:20:01 UTC 0d 00h 10min Green -3
2020-04-19 20:10:01 UTC 0d 00h 20min Green -21
Capture-The-Flag 2.4.x Official Leagues United Match Server :: PassTheFlag :: New Jersey
2020-04-19 19:50:02 UTC 0d 00h 15min Green -19
Capture-The-Flag 2.4.x Official Leagues United Match Server :: DucatiMini :: New Jersey
2020-04-15 19:45:02 UTC 0d 00h 05min Observer 0
2020-04-15 19:40:01 UTC 0d 00h 15min Green -18
Ingoring 2020-04-15 because it did not happen - as far I can recall. :)

As you can on 2020-04-19 I switched from

allejo.leaguesunited.org:5198 to allejo.leaguesunited.org:5196

and I switched from allejo.leaguesunited.org:5196 to diver-sion.freemyip.com:5154

Not sure before that first switch, but for sure I remember this on that date (2020-04-19).

I was playing on allejo.leaguesunited.org:5198 for a while. After I played on that, I tried to connect to the list server and was not able to. So I changed the port to 5196 and connected to that server. Played on 5196 for a while. After I played on that, I tried to connect to the list server and was able to and connected as you can see to diver-sion.freemyip.com:5154

And importantly I must add, two things:

#1 I did not close and re open the program. That includes, not opening another copy (after first disconnecting it from the server) and closing the old copy.

#2 I was using version BZFlag client 2.4.12.20171104-MAINT-linux-gnu-SDL (protocol 0221) http://BZFlag.org/ Copyright (c) 1993-2017 Tim Riker.

Very strange/odd to me the issue came and went all by it's self.

^^

For now I will be using bzflag-2.4.18 and to see it happens too. And this/that includes does it go away on it own or not..

End update and I have nothing else I can say at this time.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

While I am slightly uncertain if this is the same issue, the same type of "problem" has occurred from time to time.

When this occurs, generally simply "refreshing" the list may solve the issue.
This is done by the following actions:
Join Game -> Find Server -> Servers
Servers -> Find Server
Find Server -> Servers

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Zehra wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:32 am While I am slightly uncertain if this is the same issue, the same type of "problem" has occurred from time to time.
#1 Why does it happen?

#2 Will it by fixed (if was not fixed already in a newer version) and any ideas of how soon?
Zehra wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:32 am When this occurs, generally simply "refreshing" the list may solve the issue.
This is done by the following actions:
Join Game -> Find Server -> Servers
Servers -> Find Server
Find Server -> Servers

-Zehra
So let me straight.

After starting BZflag: Join Game -> Find Server -> press esc to get back to the previous screen, go back to Find Servers, press esc to get back to the previous screen and then go back to Find Servers.

???

Please and thank you
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

trpted wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:37 pm #1 Why does it happen?
Due to some uncertainties, it is impossible to precisely pinpoint the exact reason "why" it occurs, as the issue may be similar, but the cause may be greatly different.
trpted wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:37 pm #2 Will it by fixed (if was not fixed already in a newer version) and any ideas of how soon?
In addition to the previous answer, since the precise issue is unknown, a time frame of when the issue may be possibly resolved, would be solely speculation.
trpted wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:37 pm So let me straight.

After starting BZflag: Join Game -> Find Server -> press esc to get back to the previous screen, go back to Find Servers, press esc to get back to the previous screen and then go back to Find Servers.
Yes.
The only variations may be with the time period which this is done.
My personal preference, is to wait approximately 3-5 seconds.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread