Pimping my rig!

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
poxy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pimping my rig!

Post by poxy »

I just wanna pimp my rig for one of my fun servers that I have running. I've seen more and more people play on it so I decided to give some details on the wonderful machine this server runs on, with a brief introduction on the bzflag server settings first.

(This is regarding bzflag.jmsent.com)

This server runs allowing everybody to utilize /set to change just about any server setting, for experimentation and fun.
I modified the bzfs source code to allow for 200 shots maximum. I realize that the shots will dissapear before all 200 could ever be fired, but since people can change shot properties like the shot life, and everything else, a more than normal number of shots is possible to get fired.

This server runs on a 50MHz SparcCLASSIC and is stamped with a (C) dated 1990. That makes the machine at least 14 years old and soon it will be of legal age. The MIPS for this machine is 59.1. MIPS supposedly means Millions of Instructions Per Second. The CPU is a MicroSPARC CPU with a 4KB instruction cache, and a 2KB data cache, and no L2 cache. The ram is rated at 60ns, which is basically the speed of any newer ram that was introduced before SDRAM. The machine looks like a lunchbox. A picture is here: http://www.obsolyte.com/sunPICS/classic ... lassic.gif

In comparison, a Pentium III at 1.13GHz is rated at 3151MIPS, and probably comes with 128KB L1 cache and from 256 to 512KB L2 cache and uses RAM rated at 10ns or less. What a difference, but it still runs a bzflag server!

I find this interesting because I like old hardware. I hope at least one other person finds this interesting.