bzflag.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
QuantumFoam
Private First Class
Private First Class

bzflag.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Post by QuantumFoam »

Problem: Can't start BZFlag.
Windows error: "bzflag.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Problem began around the time (can't be sure its in lockstep as hadn't started BZFlag in a week or so prior) I ran into a problem with on online update of the game Halo. The only other thing I remember mucking with in the same time frame was windows "themes" stuff.

Diagnostics performed to date (to no avail):
- uninstalled Halo
- uninstalled BZFlag
- reinstalled BZFlag (have tried 1.10.6 and 1.10.8)
- reinstalled/updated DIRECTX 9.c

System (which had been doin just fine for a few months of
- BZFag playing):
- Windows XP sp2
- IBM Thinkpad Pentium M 1.4g CPU
- ATI Mobility Radeon Display Adapter
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

that's just the generic crash message. I'd remove your config and run again ( the "my bzflag files" dir in your my documents folder ).
ImageJeffM
QuantumFoam
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumFoam »

PL221 -thanks for the help (via IRC) on this one - the laptop issue. It was the video drivers that must have got mucked up (with the Halo update fail). Reinstalled and all is well with that machine. :D

Unfortunately the desktop issue is still going strong (horrible performance on any BZFLag version after 1.7e6). I just cannot seem to be able to get an updated video driver for my machine (crappy eBAY purchased PC100 Systemboard with onboard AGP video that came with NVIDIA ALADIN TNT2/NVIDIA RIVA TNT drivers). :evil:

Neither of the two driver updates NVIDIA offers will install on my machine (RIVA: 45.23_win9x_english, Geoforce/TNT: 61.76_win9x_english). Both SETEP.EXEs come back with
" unable to locate detected devices PCI in NVAGP.INF"

Don't think I'll be able to track down the seller and NVIDIA don't do direct support - oh well.[/img]
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

sounds like you have issues

find the motherboard manufacture and see if they have drivers for that thing.

or go get a GF2MX for 28$
ImageJeffM