Need help with 3D support

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Need help with 3D support

Post by I_Died_Once »

Been using Linux for a couple of months now, loving it more and more everyday. Too bad support for certain hardware is to be desired...

(I have multiple computers, cause I have no issues on another computer... Just didn't want anyone to see me talking about playing on one thread and me needing help her and y'all think I'm lying or something)

Now the specs...

A laptop, Compaq nx9010. The video card is a ATI Radeon IGP 340M. Running SuSE 9.1 Professional. Somewhat of a newer computer, fairly high end (3.06 pentium 4)

I got the system dual booted with WinXP, which runs the win32 port of BZ Flag flawlessly. I just don't like to use windows if at all possible. (Nevermind getting full use out of this expensive laptop.)

Now, I've read a couple of tutorials via google, and every time I've ended up having to reinstall Suse after completely messing up my graphics system.

Does anyone know of a way to enable 3D support on this card without 4 pages of detailed instructions? Like, a simple rpm, same way I enabled it on an nVidia card???

Any thoughts, opinions, or comments are welcome.

ati.com has a proprietary driver, but it kills the graphics system, too. Everything I've done consisted of cvs versions of xc, mesa, and xfree86. Still a reletave linux noob, so show some love.
...This has been a recording.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ATI does not provide hardware accelerated drives for linux for that chipset. It's basicly a radeon 7000, and they only provide support for the 8000 and higher.

The only thing you can do is use the current version of DRI as your driver, and it may support SOME hardware accelleration on that chipset in linux, but as of the last time I checked it was not fully accelerated.
ImageJeffM
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Nooooooooooooooo

Post by I_Died_Once »

Aaaauuuuggghhh!!! Noooo!

You were supposed to say something along the lines of "yeah, check out this rpm..."

Seriously, everytime I go to install the latest DRI driver, it never installs right, and I lose my graphics system. Also, there is no one download of "DRI" - it means updating mesa, xfree86, and a couple of other packages, and thats where I get lost at.

Truth be told, I just wanna get BZ Flag running on the Linux side of the hard drive. Y'all feel my pain, doncha?

Much Love

AKA Darth Vader
...This has been a recording.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Yeah DRI is a pig, I personly hate it. But sadly it's your only choice. The 3d support for your card is done by the the DRI developers and is not supported by ATI, so they have no real guide to work from. This is why it is incomplete. Basicly you have to use drivers that were made by nice people in their spare time, not by people who know the hardware becaue they built it.

BZ Will run, it just won't run fast, that's all.

not all things can be solved by an RPM.
ImageJeffM
Leiche57
Private
Private

Post by Leiche57 »

Hallo 2 u,
i´ve a HP-Compaq NX9005 with the same videochip, and a dual booted system with XP prof sp2 and Linux Suse 9.1. Until now there is no way to get the 3D ability under Linux- sorry.javascript:emoticon(':x')
Whenever i wanna play BZFLAG i have 2 use XP (only on the laptop) -
on my stationary PC runs Linux 9.1 with a Nvidia Geforce without a problem. But until today i couldn´t manage to get the 3D funktions running with the ATi Garfics cards (on my wifes PC and my daughters pc there are ATIradeon cards - and linux - no 3D.
So as far as i know for your laptop BZflag on XP runs.

greetings from Germany :x