So, is it lag, or something else?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

So, is it lag, or something else?

Post by Tankless »

When playing BZflag, I often have the suspicion that some of my opponents have about a two second lead on me. Frequently, I see my shots go right through tanks without them blowing up. And my tank is destroyed long before it should by what I'm seeing. When I had a modem I knew that I had a lag problem. But I still see this stuff with adsl. So, is it lag, or something else? Can lag be caused by distance from the server? Or Internet junctions?

How much does fps affect performance? Why does BZflag report my fps about 25 when glxgears reports 300? Does it matter?

Is there something else involved?

BZflag is a great game. Thanks to all who created and maintain it and put it up on their servers.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

A FPS of 25 shouldn't make any lag. Try shooting a bit in front of your opponent's path. The other player may have high lag, or the distance to the server could cause issues too. Do a /lagstats in the game to get an idea of lag times.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

I do frequent /lagstats and I usually run about 110. However, I get suspicious about the readings. Sure, the /lagstats will show who's on a dial-up modem.

Some players are very good. And I'm an old guy with slow reflexes. But I sure get the feeling that some players have eyes in the back of their heads, or something. It's as if they jump out of the way just as I pull the trigger, as if they know that I'm sneaking up behind them. ESP?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Some of them might be veterans to the game. The radar is a powerful tool that can alert you to incoming enemies and their bullets, as well as help you locate flags. Also, lost or out-of-order packets can cause more issues than lag. (Someone with low lag but high packet loss is hard to kill)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Red Baron2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Baron2 »

out of curiosity, Do you use the "shot length option" On your radar?

as in, Are your bullets lines, or dots?

Most people do not realize that if their bullets are lines on the radar, the part of the line that kills them is at the rear of the line. Not the front, while the first reaction to this is, "isn't that messed up? it is, in reality a boon.

if the tip of a bullet touches you, you have time to move out if you are quick enough to see it.
"Those who say they have never been afraid are either lying, or their life has never amounted to much. Fear is nothing to be ashamed of. Often it makes man a better fighter, it inhances his senses, it gives him caution, and other qualities he will need. So when i am about, be wise....and fear."

-Wolf Tarlon-
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

Red Baron2 wrote:out of curiosity, Do you use the "shot length option" On your radar?
I didn't know it could be changed. It gives me something to play with. Thanks.

Are some servers inherently problematic? I frequently get lag warnings from Arena, for example. Does that server have a problem? Or is it a long way from here? Or have a lot of Net junctions between us?
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

blast wrote:Some of them might be veterans to the game.
Yes, some players are very good. They are fun to play with even though I lose. But, others seem to have a technical edge. There are some players who do not seem to be especially talented, but I can't hit them; and they hit me with ridiculous ease.