RPM on Linux

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

RPM on Linux

Post by RPG »

I'm carrying this discussion over from Servers:General Discussion. I just booted off of KNOPPIX, and then right away I downloaded the RPM for 1.10.8. I ran it in a program called K-something (i'm on Windows right now), and I clicked 'INSTALL', but then it told me something like: "ROOT password:". So I typed the general things like 'admin', 'test', 'knoppix', but I couldn't get it to validate! Does anyone know what the default password is for the Knoppix RPM manager or how to get around the password?

I am in a crunch because I have/will host a server for sid6.7's map contest tommorow afternoon. (Monday the 20th).

p.s. Anyone in the contest- don't worry, i'll get it done. This is how I get to learn new things :D and explore new areas.
orchid
Dev Godess
Dev Godess

Post by orchid »

I think it uses sudo with no root password set.
Open a terminal window, there should be an icon for terminals on the taskbar

type sudo passwd and it will prompt you for a new root password , enter anything you like, two times, and then try installing your program again.

You might try #knoppix on freenode if this dosent work.
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

I believe the default root password is typically 'root' backwards, 'toor". But I don't recall needing to use it that much - sudo normally doesn't prompt me for a password.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

i did what orchid said, and it worked. However, there was an error installing it. I guess I'll forget about it, I already hosted my server on windows with some trouble. The next step for me is installing Fedora and having something solid to run off of.