Font on Linux

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Sledge
Private
Private

Font on Linux

Post by Sledge »

I have recently discovered BZflag and have been enjoying getting blown to smithereens for a while each evening. My problem is that the font used for the text is only semi-legible. The letters alternate different shades of light and dark so I can ususally only read about half of them. I am running this on Linux Fedora Core 3. Is there some sort of font I need to download? Thanks.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

What graphics card are you using, and what drivers? If you're using an ATI card and it's new enough to use ATI's binary drivers, go get them. If it's not new enough or you're using a different brand of card you might be out of luck until the DRI drivers get fixed to work right with x.org. (Assuming http://penguinppc.org/~daenzer/DRI/resolved/bzflag.jpeg matches your problem)
Red Baron2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Baron2 »

i don't know, you probably already tried this, but there are 2 font size settings under gui options, "bigger" and "normal". you may have known that, but if not try "bigger," it may help.... also under gui options, run your opacity all the way up, that might help too..
"Those who say they have never been afraid are either lying, or their life has never amounted to much. Fear is nothing to be ashamed of. Often it makes man a better fighter, it inhances his senses, it gives him caution, and other qualities he will need. So when i am about, be wise....and fear."

-Wolf Tarlon-
Sledge
Private
Private

Post by Sledge »

I tried the size and opacity contols to no avail. As far as the drivers, my card is too old. It is odd though, this is the only program I have run into with a problem. Everything else looks fine in the game except the text (including the text in all the menus except the main one) that is why I was wondering if it was a font issue. Thanks for the suggestions. Any other ideas/theories/wags?
Legoguy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legoguy »

I have this problem too; I posted on the forum about it some time ago as well. The ATI Radeon Mobility IGP320M that my laptop has is too old/not powerful enough to support the binary drivers so I'm stuck with DRI; they just got DRI working on that chip too. No way to fix it yet I'm afraid.
"... the reality is that GNU/Linux is a better mousetrap. It wasn't started by any company, it is bigger than any company, it depends on no company, and if they all went out of business tomorrow, it would continue." -Groklaw