HELP!!. BZ crashes my machine. Both Linux and Win XP

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
GoRBaG
Private
Private

HELP!!. BZ crashes my machine. Both Linux and Win XP

Post by GoRBaG »

Hi all. I've been playing BZFlag for a long time now, and never had any problems. I updated to the 2.0 version, and my nightmare began. BZ starts correctly. I select a server, Join game... before hitting "i" or right-click, I can see tanks moving in the window and radar, but just after pressing i or right click to start, it freezes. Well, not only it freezes, it crashes my machine. It happens the same both in Linux Fedora Core 3 and Windows XP Professional (all uppdates done), latest nVidia drivers, and Direct X 9.0c. My computer is a Dell PIII 733Mhz, 384Mb Ram, nvidia 256 32Mb video card. What happens?. I've tried everyhing; reinstalling BZ, deleting the config file, running in windowed/fullscreen mode, change video options to the minimum... What can I do???.
Thank you very much in advance,
Javier.
QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumBeep »

Stupid question: Does the freeze happen in you run 1.10.x again? If it does, check your system fans.

Over and out...
GoRBaG
Private
Private

Post by GoRBaG »

Previous BZ runs ok. I've downloaded the latest CVS version 2.0.1 and it crashes too.
QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumBeep »

What happens if you turn the graphics *all the way down*? /me points out that you vidcard is probably massively overloaded, considering my Radeon 7200 64M DDR is really struggling to play half the maps in 2.0
GoRBaG
Private
Private

Post by GoRBaG »

Is BZ so power hungry to eat my video card??. I mean, I can run quake 3 arena without any problems at 1024x768. The graphical improvments in BZ doesn't seem to be a processing intensive jump from version 1 to 2.
Anyway, I tried lowering the video settings and the same problems. I'm starting to think that I'll no longer play BZ for some time :cry:
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

I've had higher lag (jitter) than usual in 2.0, and I've noticed that it is the same whether I'm using "low" or "experimental" video quality. Something else going on I'm afraid. Sounds like you have something else going on too.

Try moving/renaming your bzflag config directory. In windows this is:

"%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My BZFlag Files\"

In OSX, it is:

~/Library/Application Support/BZFlag

in *nix:

~/.bzf #(I think)

I couldn't get bzflag 2.0 to start until I deleted this directory.
GoRBaG
Private
Private

Post by GoRBaG »

Thanks for the tip. I deleted the directory, but freezing again.