Lag Issues

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Sloany
Private
Private

Lag Issues

Post by Sloany »

I am wondering how you reduce the lag when playin BZFlag, I am always running from 300ms to about 600ms each time I am playing and I get kicked out because of the lag being so high. I have asked people in the game, and some say its my internet connection, but I have a broadband connection, running at 256kbs. Can someone please help me, I am getting frustrated. :evil: :x
iced
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by iced »

Well Firstly you live far away from where most of the servers are based like USA and Germany, also if you are using wireless you may have some problems especially with Belkin Routers
Sloany
Private
Private

Post by Sloany »

oh tru, well i do have a belkin router, and I am running a wireless home network, but my comp is wired to the router, and my laptop is running off the wireless. What is a good brand of wireless ADSL routers that you know of?
Gravious
Private
Private

Post by Gravious »

I'm running off a 2MBit bitstream connection (Orcon), belkin router (non-wireless) connected to a wireless home network (linksys). I'm getting a consistent 200 and a bit ms to secretplaces (and consistently getting blown to pieces as well). Considering the distances and number of hops involved I think that's about as good at it gets from here. European servers are pretty much a no-hope.

Being on 256kbs will account for some of the difference, but not the variations. Could be network congestion in NZ, something else that you are running that is using the internet (e.g. P2P), traffic shaping of non-standard ports by the ISP, or quality of the phoneline.

---JvdL---
iced
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by iced »

I have a D-Link adsl router which is working fine for me belkin does not seem to be the best for gaming here is another thread on the topic