Game so slooooow

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Thelonius
Private First Class
Private First Class

Game so slooooow

Post by Thelonius »

Recently I have upgraded from win98 to XP. When I had 98 bzflag was working fine. But after I installed XP (I also bought additional ram) the game speed decreased rapidly. I have a celeron 600mhz with 256 mb ram and a riva tnt2 graphic card. I´m running BZFlag 1.10.8 with everything turned off (no textures, low quality, all other off) and on 800x600 but it´s still not enough and I must turn off antivirus and firewall to play it!!! Can somebody find an answer why is this happening?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

It's probably the drivers. The video drivers that Microsoft supply suck. You should download drivers directly from the card manufacturer. It looks like the drivers you can use are here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/riva_drivers . I noticed they have no XP drivers. Try the most recent ones, and if they don't work right just keep trying :).
Thelonius
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Thelonius »

The link you posted is for Riva 128 cards. For TNT2 I should use the classic forcewares. But neverthless i have forceware 66.93 installed. Maybe the drivers are too new for my card. Can someone recommend me better drivers?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

no those links are for all nvida cards TNT2 and better. ( the part that says GeForce and TNT2 )

Forceware is for motherboards, you do NOT want those ( since I know you don't have an nvidia motheboard chipset on a celleron ).

the drivers you want are;
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/71.8 ... nglish.exe
your drivers are wicked old.
get those. They will work.
ImageJeffM
Thelonius
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Thelonius »

allright. My fault I didn´t mean Forceware. But i cannot install those drivers you linked. It says: No compatible component was found" or something like that
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

then you do not have a TNT2 card.

or you do not have plug and play turned on in your bios.

is your video card built onto your motherboard?
ImageJeffM
Thelonius
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Thelonius »

I have a Nvidia RIVA TNT2 model 64/64 Pro. It´s external card. I was able to install older drivers (the 66.93) but i cannot install these
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

check your bios, and make sure plug and play is on.
ImageJeffM
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

RPG wrote:The video drivers that Microsoft supply suck. You should download drivers directly from the card manufacturer.
Microsoft often supplies the same drivers the manufacturer does, but Microsoft is a version or more behind because they "certify" the driver before they release and support it.

For example, Microsoft doesn't write drivers for nVidia chipsets, nVidia does that, then releases the drivers to Microsoft for "certification".
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

You mean plug and pray.

I have a 16 meg Nvidia Riva TNT2 card and BZFlag works great. Yes, microsoft does suck at finding hte latest drivers. All the drivers they have is just a big compilation of all the drivers that they can dig up.
Last edited by Supertanker on Fri May 20, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:Yes, microsoft does suck at dirvers.
Cluelessness breeds cluelessness I guess. Microsoft is not in the buisness of writing drivers for other people's hardware. They supply older versions of drivers, so in essence, drivers downloaded from a manufacturer's website / ftp site is a better option because they are the latest available.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}