Connection Issues

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
anarchogeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Connection Issues

Post by anarchogeek »

OK. My connection to the Internet is great. Lately, I've been messing around with the display drivers and some system permissions. Anyway, and again my normal Internet connection is fine, I am unable to connect to the list server or ANY OTHER BZFlag server (by directly entering the information in at the main menu).

Messages I get when I attempt to get the list server:

Code: Select all

looking up hostname: Hostname lookup failure
Can't open server list: http://my.BZFlag.org/db/
When I try to connect to a server:

Code: Select all

Can't open server list: http://my.BZFlag.org/db/
What have I broken? :P

Fedora Core 3
BZFlag 2.0.2
2.6.11-1.27_FC3 kernel

If relevent, no other networked computers have this trouble.

Thanks,
Happy Tanker
Last edited by anarchogeek on Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Can you surf the internet on that machine? Or is just the program screwed up?
...This has been a recording.
anarchogeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anarchogeek »

I_Died_Once wrote:Can you surf the internet on that machine? Or is just the program screwed up?
My Internet connection is fine. I'm posting these things from the machine in question.

Some additional notes:
-- I've reinstalled curl and curl-devel. Do I have to do make clean etc. to see if this works? The packages claimed I already had them installed anyway. Only difference is I did new installs from source.
-- The new CVS copy will allow me to login to a server if I supply the address. It cannot connect to the list server, however. It responds with "Can't talk with list server" and also tells me it can't get the message of the day.
-- I've reinstalled c-ares-1.2.1. I get the same errors.
Last edited by anarchogeek on Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
anarchogeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anarchogeek »

Major clue:

In the older version of the game, I'm not able to log into servers by entering normal addresses. HOWEVER, if I enter in the IP address, I AM able to log in. This means I'm still at a loss with the server list though. Also, that's grossly inconvenient.

For some reason, the CVS version will log into servers even with DNS addresses, but will not grab the server list.

c-ares and c-ares-devel have both been installed via RPM, and I've done the "make clean; ./autogen.sh; ./configure; make; make install" sequence all over again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

There is a patch for the problem here http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3240 I don't know if it will work under CVS though. I have checked out the specfile for the src rpm of 2.0.2 from freshrpms and there are no patches, perhaps Matthias has a different gcc version? The rpms do work though (32 and 64bit). Get yerself a copy of smart package manager it's much better for checking deps with, it's like synaptic, only it works.
anarchogeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anarchogeek »

The RPM does work. Quite frankly, I hate version 2.0.2 :lol-old:. I can't have "smooth" turned on because it breaks radar, and I don't have my shot meter or any of the other new features. It just makes me feel empty inside. ;)

After reinstalling the c-ares and c-ares-devel packages and installing the patch (I know I should have done this seperately to see), my personal install of the old 2.0.2 seems to work in every way, EXCEPT it fails to show the "message of the day". Global login works.

In the CVS version the patch fails, and I can't find any calls to the deprecated function mentioned in the thread. The CVS version fails with message of the day, the entire server list, and global login. It doesn't mind logging into servers with domains.

Basically, my objective here is to be able to compile the latest CVS version of BZFlag myself.

???

-Htanker
anarchogeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anarchogeek »

OK, so according to that thread, BZFlag is calling a deprecated function which no longer works with the latest C++ libraries. So, are the devs going to fix it, or is it still somehow my fault? :lol-old:
anarchogeek
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by anarchogeek »

If I upgraded to GCC 4 might the bug go away? This all seems to be in the library versions... Perhaps downgrade?