BZFS.. again. :[

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
pointblank
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFS.. again. :[

Post by pointblank »

Okay, I finally was able to get BZFS to run, was able to connect and everything. I port forwarded 5154 for TCP and UDP on my router and firewall. But people STILL can't connect to the server.

I would also like to add that I am currently using Cox High Spped Internet (cable).

It's weird though, because the public address I specified doesn't show up as the address on the list server. Instead it comes up with:

Yoshi.ph.cox.net

And when I try to load it, it says: Server Not Found.

Any suggestions?
QWERTY - keyboard or BZFlag player? (-:
Roxport
Private First Class
Private First Class

I'm having the same problem...

Post by Roxport »

Greetings,

I'm having the same problem when trying to run my bz server from behind my Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless router and SBC DSL modem (dynamic IP).

Some router settings:
-- WAN > Connection Type --
- Dynamic (currently selected, by default) "A Dynamic type of connection is the most common. If you use a cable modem, then most likely you will have a dynamic connection. If you have a cable modem or you are not sure of your connection type, use this."
- Static "A Static IP address connection type is less common than others. Use this selection only if your ISP gave you an IP address that never changes."
- PPPoE (should I use this instead?) "If you use a DSL modem and/or your ISP gave you a User Name and Password, then your connection type is PPPoE. Use this connection type." (I would try PPPoE, except the router wants my ISP login name and password, and I'm not thrilled about doing that.)
- PPTP (doesn't apply to me) "[European Countries Only]"
- Telstra BigPond (doesn't apply to me) " [Australia Only]"

-- Wireless > Use as Access Point -- (disabled by default)
"Advanced Feature! The Router can be configured to act as strictly an Access Point, bypassing all of the routing and firewall functions. To do so, select "Enable" and type in the IP address you want the Access Point to have."

-- Firewall > DMZ -- (haven't tried this yet; maybe it's a solution?)
"The DMZ feature allows you to specify one computer on your network to be placed outside of the NAT firewall. This may be necessary if the NAT feature is causing problems with an application such as a game or video conferencing application. Use this feature on a temporary basis. The computer in the DMZ is not protected from hacker attacks."

Other router info: Firmware Version 4.05.03 (I checked; there's no firmware updates), Boot Version 2.01.09

Thanks for taking the time to read this l-o-n-g post!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Maybe both of your problems lie within the realams of Dynamic IP addresses. I know when we tried out SBC, they changed our IP every 10 minutes! If you want quick, easy help, I suggest going to the IRC channel #BZFlag (or click on the Chat Room link at the top of this page).
Roxport
Private First Class
Private First Class

Solution!

Post by Roxport »

YES! Thanks, RPG!

After fiddling around with numerous and unecessary router, modem, and windows xp settings, I finally asked the helpful gurus in #bzflag for help. (brown.freenode.net:6667). It took about 3 minutes until the problem was solved!

Thanks and mighty props to those from #bzflag channel:
Mr_Molez, bryjen and TheLastSpartan.
YOU ROCK!

Solution(for me, anyways): After port forwarding 5155 (tcp and udp), they advised me to RESTART the router. Qwerty--> Try that first. I used "Restart Router" option in the Utilities section of my router.

I had failed to restart the router during my previous troubleshooting phases.

Before I got this advice from #bzflag, I made the following changes, which might have helped me too.

Router setting changes:
-- set the WAN MAC address of my computer. Under router's "Internet WAN" section. ("Clone Computer's MAC Address" button worked for me.)
-- added my computer to the MAC address filtering list and turned on MAC filtering in the router. That's under the "Firewall" section.

WinXP changes:
-- I added my router's IP address in Windows XP TCP/IP section, like this: Start-Settings-Network Connections. double click on wireless network connection. click properties. double click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP). Click advanced. Add router's IP address to default gateway (automatic metric). Click OK on each window. Re-booted windows. I don't know if this is necessary. I think maybe WinXP already knew that gateway address.

TIPS:
Save working router settings before changing them, in case you have to manual reset(back of router usually). Then you can "restore previous settings" if needed. I found that very handy and convenient.

Save router settings after you've fixed port forwarding (I gave it a filename applicable to the router changes I'd made).

After you set up port forwarding in the router, to test if it's working, one method to use is grc.com --> Shields Up utility. I found it helpful. It works from the web page.

I also used WhatIsMyIP.com to verify my dynamic Internet IP address.

I'd be happy to share more info/settings if needed.