Curious about frame rates

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Curious about frame rates

Post by SilentSwan »

Just wondering what sort of fps most people are getting these days. It seems that on MacOS X 10.3.x, I'm setting averages under 25fps, even with a fairly good quality 3d card (Radeon 9800 series). Is this normal and expected? The game plays pretty well like this, but I just figured this number was a little too low.

Post by Guest »

At one point I was only getting 25 or 30 FPS, but I do get much more than that these days. No idea why... :)
(Mac OS X, Radeon 9550)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: Curious about frame rates

Post by The Red Baron »

SilentSwan wrote:Just wondering what sort of fps most people are getting these days. It seems that on MacOS X 10.3.x, I'm setting averages under 25fps, even with a fairly good quality 3d card (Radeon 9800 series). Is this normal and expected? The game plays pretty well like this, but I just figured this number was a little too low.
yea, that number is very low with a nice card like that. I can max out my radeon 7000 and get 110fps. Do you have depth buffer turned on? vsync?
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
kahcepb[RU]
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kahcepb[RU] »

Hmm...it depends. What screen resolution do you use? Map name? (Higher map complexity will give you lower fps).

My usual setup (old geforce 4 mx400, slightly OC'ed, OS:Linux, kernel-2.6.13) gives me: 78-95fps at resolution of 1024x768, map: spiralzone 1.8 (68-80fps at 1280x1024 resolution)

On higher grade hardware (geforce fx5700): 90-120 fps at 1280x1024 (results taken on spiralzone map too)

Also fps count will depend on what settings are selected in Settings/Display: shadows, depth buffer and smoothing turned on _will_ slow things down, altough it should not be a prob on your hardware (radeon9800, right?).

So it is not normal and not expected behaviour from my POV....Are you sure you're using accelerated OpenGL?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

OK, I thought it was just me... I got a 2gHz G5 and 512MB Ram with a Radeon 9600 128MB. I'm getting only 10 FPS at LaserMania... I used to consistently get 50-60 FPS everywhere I went (sometimes more). I have all the settings on high just like I always have been using and 1440x800 resolution just like always. This has been happening lately... any suggestions?
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

i have no video card that i know of. i just got mine out of a box and plugged it in.

i get 30-40, sometimes over that, but i have some of the pretty options off, as well as texturing. play with those, and see what you get then.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I got a Radeon 9250, I think for around $70, and at SilentSwan's place it gets around 70FPS. Enough to keep me happy.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

mine works well enough also for me. im usually not looking for great performance whilst bz-ing, but I prefer a great game.
strayer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by strayer »

*lol*...I get around 8FPS with my normal computer...so 25FPS are not that bad
(one reason why I play so seldom)

with another computer and a little optimized configuration I can have around 30 to 40 FPS which is enough for playing...but I also played with above 400FPS at a workstation *still impressed*
A pessimist is an optimist with experience... ;o)
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

What map? If it's MadCity, I get around the same as RPG. I've also got a 9250. I'm not attacking Mac - but I think it's to do with that. It seems like they don't have as good drivers or something.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

she has a slower CPU, that is why she is so low on that card.

A goodly amount of the bzflag pre-rendering uses the CPU, so you can slap the best card in the world in a PC, if it can't send the data to it fast enough, it's pointless.
ImageJeffM
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

With 2.0.4, your framerates should be greatly improved. Wait for it to come out (or try rc5, yes that's rc5) and if you have a 3D graphics card, your framerates should increase by at least 200%, especially on high polygon maps like Louman's.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

TD-Linux
again, please don't say things that you are unsure of.

many of the enhancements require changes to the map to describe LOD objects, and info that helps the rendering system move much faster.
The enchancements also require a bit more then a "3d video card", They want something with a GPU, and hardware transforms.

it wont' do much to help with some of the core CPU problems bzflag has.
ImageJeffM