Cheaters getting me banned

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Trucker Tricker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cheaters getting me banned

Post by Trucker Tricker »

Greetings all,

More and more recently, I have been having a hard time logging in to servers. The server messages basically say banned for cheating and reference a variety of callsigns.

I don't cheat. I never have. The idea that I am getting denied because of other people's cheating is really getting under my skin.

I have DSL with dynamic IP. I turn off my modem with my computer when I am not using the computer. Part of that is energy conservation, and another is a simple security precaution by minimizing up time to the network when I am not using the Internet. Anyway, my IP changes each time I power up.

Being that a lot of the addresses seemed to be banned, I am guessing that there are a lot of cheaters. Either that, or there is a cheater close by to me that uses similar IP addresses. But what are the odds of that? Online I can see that this is a popular game, but no one of whom I know in my area seems to have heard of it.

Is it possible for servers to allow me to play by recognition of my registered callsign besides my IP? Again, I don't cheat.

If anyone has any pointers, I'm open.

Thanks!
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Name some servers you're banned at so the respective server owners can make things all better for ya.
...This has been a recording.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Cheaters getting me banned

Post by RPG »

Trucker Tricker wrote:Either that, or there is a cheater close by to me that uses similar IP addresses. But what are the odds of that?
I ended up going to school with someone who played BZ for a few years, and never knew it until a couple of days ago. He was "mr. bean", retired now. Also, there are alot of BZFlag players who live in my vicinity :). It's not that rare to find a BZ player near you. Ask SilentSwan :).
Trucker Tricker
Private First Class
Private First Class

I_Died_Once wrote:Name some servers you're banned at so the respective server owners can make things all better for ya.
secretplace
gamesunited
silvercat
viper

There are probably others, but these are the servers that I like to go to. I'm not sure with secretplace, though. I recently upgraded to version 2.0.4, and since then I have not been able to log on. Perhaps I will try an older version to see if I can get in. When I try to log in, I see a message that my global callsign was accepted. I can see the score list of players, but then that's it: no messages, no players on radar or screen or anything. Right-clicking or pressing "i" doesn't do anything. When I try to type a message, I get a message that the server forced disconnect.

Anyway, thanks a lot!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

if you contact them ( usualy by PM here ) they can get you an exception on your username to let you play again.
ImageJeffM
Trucker Tricker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks for the input!

Today I have been able to log in. I don't know at this time if some admins have seen my post, or if I happen to have an IP that has yet to be tainted. At any rate, I will contact admins via pm here if I have any more trouble.

Again, thanks for the support!
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Cheaters getting me banned

Post by dango »

Trucker Tricker wrote:Being that a lot of the addresses seemed to be banned, I am guessing that there are a lot of cheaters. Either that, or there is a cheater close by to me that uses similar IP addresses. But what are the odds of that? Online I can see that this is a popular game, but no one of whom I know in my area seems to have heard of it.
some guy it texas had the same ip as me except the last number, and i live in the east coast.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Trucker Tricker wrote:
I_Died_Once wrote:Name some servers you're banned at so the respective server owners can make things all better for ya.
secretplace
gamesunited
silvercat
viper

There are probably others, but these are the servers that I like to go to. I'm not sure with secretplace, though. I recently upgraded to version 2.0.4, and since then I have not been able to log on. Perhaps I will try an older version to see if I can get in. When I try to log in, I see a message that my global callsign was accepted. I can see the score list of players, but then that's it: no messages, no players on radar or screen or anything. Right-clicking or pressing "i" doesn't do anything. When I try to type a message, I get a message that the server forced disconnect.

Anyway, thanks a lot!
You have a PM.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!