Blowing yourself up with GM - 1.7g1?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Daddo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Blowing yourself up with GM - 1.7g1?

Post by Daddo »

Before I got the graphics settings tweaked right on my old Celeron/TNT box I noticed a problem with the cvs client 1.7g1 that I had not noticed before. Once in a while when I had GM I would blow myself up when shooting. With my skill level (and/or reaction time) not being very impressive - this was not a good thing! I have since reverted back to the 1.7g0 client and then fixed the slow performance (thanks to all those who helped that day on Turkey). I'm just wondering if this is a feature of the cvs version or just the result of really old equipment/low performance. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks,

Dado (I was Dead Dado but now I'm not ALWAYS the one that dies :) )
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Unfortunately, I have been having the exact same problem with g1. It usually happens when you are moving in the same direction as the missles you are firing. Is there some sort of new colission detection in g1 that might cause your tank to collide with GM's? Or have the missles been changed in shape/size or something? I have no clue what is going on.... but it is definitely a bug.. it happens to me pretty often (when I actually use GM).
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

I just wanted to throw and wrench in your line of thought. I use CVS (1.7g1), locally compiled, and I've never experienced this even though I've done what Spiff describes many, many times.

May be this self-destruction with GM in 1.7g1 is attributed to lag? Spiff has a clean connection now, but when he upgraded to 1.7g1, he was still on his old laggy modem connection. May be it is possible?

Something to ponder: Fire a missile while stationary, and then immediately move forward in the direction the missile is heading. If your client and/or connection are laggy, is it possible for your tank and your missile to be within collision detection during some lagged packets in game time?

I'm sure this is possible, although difficult to precisely duplicate in testing.

Here's a fix I suggest for the dev team to implement,

Just as a tank's SW cannot destroy its owner, a tank's GM should not destroy its owner. Here's the code for the SW in the local client section of code:

Code: Select all

if (source == this && shot->getFlag() == ShockWaveFlag) continue;
This is on line 930-something of the LocalPlayer.cxx file. To fix this problem in a very simple, all-encompassing way, just do the same for GM and add this line right below the SW line...

Code: Select all

if (source == this && shot->getFlag() == GuidedMissileFlag) continue;
In layman's terms, the continue part will mean that nothing happens (no death) in this specific section.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}