Mouse & keyboard delay problem

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Tut Tank Ahmon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Mouse & keyboard delay problem

Post by Tut Tank Ahmon »

I have the following problem on my ubuntu box running bzflag 2.0.4 :

there's a perceptible delay (1/10s or 2/10s seconds) between the moment when i move the mouse (i.e leave the central square) and the moment when the tank moves. And delay is the same for keyboard

I received advice to limit fps , but this option is only active when energy saver menu is accessible, which is not my case. Dunno what to do else.

Once tanks is moving ,FPS (~80) is correct and moves are smooth ; but this delay makes aiming very difficult.

Please note that :

1) other games using SDL (neverball ,nexuiz, for example) seems to respond correctly ("seems" because the only game i play is bzflag :wink: )

2) same HW configuration works perfectly well with Windows Xp on same box

My configuration is :

Ubuntu 5.10 French / BZFlag 2.0.4 / ATI Radeon 9550 (drivers radeon 9600 used) / Athlon XP 1700+ / 512 Mb Ram

... --- ...

Thanks for help
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

I don't know if you're up for it, but you could always compile it. I've compiled every version of BZFlag that I play (even OS X, which was a pain), and I've never had a problem (well, one that I couldn't solve in a day or more). To do this you must have basic compilers installed, as well as SDL, the openGL libs, and CVS. Once you have all those installed, you need to type this in a terminal (in your home directory):

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bzflag login

(This will log you into the sourceforge server, then we need to actually get the source)

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bzflag co -r v2_0branch bzflag

(that will get you the 2.0 branch, doing this will get you the 2.1 branch)

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/bzflag co -P bzflag

(you'll want the 2.0 branch because it's the only one people play, in large numbers)

Ok, we've finished downloading the source, which should be about 162MB (hope you have highspeed). Next thing you want to do is cd into the directory, I will not describe the following steps in detail, you can just run them.

cd bzflag

./autogen.sh

./configure

(if you want it to install to the non-default directory (/usr/local/bin/bzflag), type this after configure:

./configure --prefix=/path/to/new/install

if you don't mind it installing in the default directory, then it this commmand is not needed. NOTE: if you install it to a non-default directory, you will have to add it to your path, which I believe is kept in ~/.bashrc, which points on my OS to /etc/bashrc so you might have to edit that file. If you edit that file, you'll need to log out of that terminal before it will start using the new .bashrc file, it is not required to log out of X, just out of the current terminal)

after you've run configure, its time to make the source into something that the computer can read, so here are the next commands:

make

su -

cd /home/user/bzflag/

make install

exit

and that's it, you've made and installed bzflag, I run IceWM, so it doesn't show up in the menu system, but you might run something that does. If you have a conflict between versions, such as when you type in bzflag in a terminal, it launches BZFlag 2.0.4 then you need to uninstall BZFlag 2.0.4, and if it wont launch after that, you need to su - to root, and cd /home/user/bzflag/ make install again. And that's it. If you want a new CVS version, ie. it's been a week, and new features have been added, then just repeat the steps up to the actual downloading of the source. Once you've downloaded the source do this (to make a NEWER version)

cd bzflag/

make clean

./configure

make

su-

cd /home/user/bzflag/

make install

exit

And there you have it, you've just installed BZFlag, or updated it, good luck. :wink:

Private message with/if you get any make errors.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

I get what I thnk is the same behavior when I enable the vsync option in DRI. This is on Debian unstable with ATI fglrx driver. I am not quite sure how vsync is supposed to work anyway, in particular in relation to glFinish() of glxWait*. I'll ask some of the developers which have some clue about GL stuff.
Tut Tank Ahmon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tut Tank Ahmon »

Hurrah ! things are working perfectly now !

Here are the operations i've done :

- Following Chestal (thanks to him !) advice , iv' add glFinish(); instruction in SwapBuffer() function of SDLDisplay.cxx and recompiled Bzflag

- Installed new kernel version

- Installed new ATI Drivers

I can't tell exactly what makes it work (probably both) , but , finally Happy End ;)

Thanks to those who paied me attention.
lucky luke
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lucky luke »

hi

i think i've got the ssame problem as you, but im not that experienced on linux, so could you explane for a "ubuntu newbee" how you managed the problem?

thx
4l
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

lucky luke wrote:hi

i think i've got the ssame problem as you, but im not that experienced on linux, so could you explane for a "ubuntu newbee" how you managed the problem?

thx
4l

I already did, read the above post by me.