OSX Tiger, case sensitive filesystems

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
jms1
Private
Private

OSX Tiger, case sensitive filesystems

Post by jms1 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:24 am

It appears that BZFlag does not work when installed on a case-sensitive filesystem under OSX Tiger.

When I try to run the program, it pops up a box which says 'You cannot open the application "BZFlag-2.0.4" because it may be damaged or incomplete.'

When I run it directly from the distribution DMG file, it works. When I copy it to an external drive which was formatted under OSX 10.3 as HFSplus but not case-sensitive, it works. But if I copy it to an HFSplus case-sensitive filesystem, it does not work.

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite » Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:10 am

Case-(in)sensitivity should have nothing to do with it. HFS+ on all drives is case-sensitive, afaik.

Try copying the file over again. Something must of happened because that error is happens when there is something wrong with the executables or other files inside the .app.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com

jms1
Private
Private

Post by jms1 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:24 pm

A Meteorite wrote:Case-(in)sensitivity should have nothing to do with it. HFS+ on all drives is case-sensitive, afaik.
then you obviously haven't used Tiger much. the "Disk Utility" program offers four variations on HFSplus... normal, journaled, case-sensitive, and case-sensitive journaled.

you wouldn't think it would make any difference, but the fact is that it does. if i copy the .app to an HFSplus volume which is case-sensititive, it doesn't work. on a volume which is not case-sensitive, it does work. if you have a machine running Tiger, try it yourself- use Disk Utility to create a 50MB disk image which is case-sensitive, copy the .app into that, and try to run it from there.

for what it's worth, this is not only affecting bzflag- the serenescreen aquarium screen saver won't save its preferences correctly, the OSX installer for diablo 2 won't run correctly, and now this... it's like one of the programming utilities out there (a "bundle maker" used to build the .app bundle after the compiler has built the real executable) isn't paying attention to an upper/lowercase issue, because until now they've never had to.

Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:18 pm

well the problem will be hard to solve, so why not just live with it?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

jms1
Private
Private

SOLVED

Post by jms1 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:01 pm

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:well the problem will be hard to solve, so why not just live with it?
because i don't have to, smartass. if you don't have anything intelligent to add, just shut your hole.

the problem is this: the name of the executable is "bzflag"... that is... BZFlag-2.0.4.app/Contents/MacOS/bzflag

and the BZFlag-2.0.4.app/Contents/Info.plist file has this entry:

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>BZFlag</string>

the SOLUTION is to change the value from "BZFlag" to "bzflag". that one change made it work... which tells me that whatever tool the developers are using to build the .app bundle is either broken, or mis-configured. on a case-NONsensitive filesystem the names "BZFlag" and "bzflag" refer to the same file and therefore there is no problem, but on a case-sensitive filesystem they are different.

somebody somewhere is being sloppy with their filenames.

A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: SOLVED

Post by A Meteorite » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:08 pm

jms1 wrote:
Spazzy Mcgee wrote:well the problem will be hard to solve, so why not just live with it?
because i don't have to, smart***. if you don't have anything intelligent to add, just shut your hole.
Dude, that is really harsh. Don't get so upset.

Since you have so many problems with it, why don't you make it case-insensitive, so ALL your apps will work.

And, yes, I do have a lot of experience with Tiger's default settings. Case-sensitivity is not default on any new system.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com

jms1
Private
Private

Re: SOLVED

Post by jms1 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:22 am

A Meteorite wrote:
jms1 wrote:
because i don't have to, smart***. if you don't have anything intelligent to add, just shut your hole.
Dude, that is really harsh. Don't get so upset.
sorry... rough day, your question caught me at the wrong time. while it was rather glib, your remark didn't deserve that severe a response. my apologies. if you ever come to orlando, i owe you a beer.
Since you have so many problems with it, why don't you make it case-insensitive, so ALL your apps will work.
unix has had a utility called "head" for at least the last fifteen years (the length of time i've been using unix, BSD, solaris, linux, and now OSX.)

perl's CPAN module installs a utility called "HEAD" (all caps), which fetches the headers of an HTTP page.

i use both of them, and i'm tired of having to remember to go through this whole renaming routine in order to be able to install CPAN without losing the unix "head" utility in the process, because apple decided to make a case-INsensitive filesystem in the first place. the case-sensitive filesystems were actually the biggest reason for me to buy tiger the day it came out, from the orlando apple store, and arrive far enough ahead of time to be #16 in line (although i will admit i had it about three weeks ahead of time.)

(Un)Guided Missile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by (Un)Guided Missile » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:39 pm

IIRC case-sensitivity has been an option since Mac OS 10.2, but only in the Server build of Disk Utility, and only made it into the main branch at 10.4
Cop @ Far, far, far too many servers. (How the heck am I meant to visit them all regularly?)