Render me!

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Render me!

Post by Ice Wewe »

I seem to have a small problem with BZFlag. Whenever I play for extended periods of time (say 1.5 hours +) my BZFlag stops rendering everything! I have no idea what could be causing this, other than the fact that my video card doesn't have a fan on it. But if it was designed that way, who am I to mess around with it? Anyway, included are a few screenshots of the phenomenon in action.

The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Knights Who Say Ni »

it maight be that your graphics card is getting to hot and not worknig properly
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

or too cold and you get that winter panorama.
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

your on laser mania arent you?
And its still rendering the track marks
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

The Knights Who Say Ni wrote:it maight be that your graphics card is getting to hot and not worknig properly
Perhaps, but when I take the side of my case off, it only feels warm. To bad my nVidia utility doesn't fetch the card temp for me... :?

I don't think that is the problem. It happens on many maps, I just happened to be on Laser Mania when it happened. If it IS the card getting to hot, then why didn't this happen in the summer when it was 30C? Doesn't make any sense.

I forgot to say that it happens intermittently. It'll be fine for about the first 1/2 hours, then it will happen for 5-10 seconds, then go back to being normal for a minute or so, then it will do this again. Could be a program bug.
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

umm i would get a new graphics card because you may have fried it in the summer...
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

I had a sound card that did the same thing. It ultimately did turn out to be a heat problem. I purchased a card with fans on it ($15) and placed it next to the sound card. Problem what away...
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

The Knights Who Say Ni wrote:umm i would get a new graphics card because you may have fried it in the summer...
That doesn't work out. If it was fried, I'd smell it, and it wouldn't work. Key points: it doesn't smell like burnt electronics, and it works better than ever. I don't think it's the card. (The driver is the latest, and has been rebuilt several times as I've upgraded kernels... this problem is independent of kernel versions, and has not yet occured on my brandnew PowerBook G4. Which has an ATi GPU in it.)

Perhaps it's that I'm using the Energy Saver setting. I only use it to keep my CPU cool, which it does without a hitch. I've limited my FPS to 33 , which I find is fine for playing smoothly. That is basically the only thing that's changed since these problems started happening.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

your card is dumping the textures we have stored on it, it is probably a drive problem. I would see if there are any updates.
ImageJeffM
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

JeffM2501 wrote:your card is dumping the textures we have stored on it, it is probably a drive problem. I would see if there are any updates.

There are none, I'm using the latest driver. So why does this only happen after at least an hour of playing (not straight, I can take little breaks. i.e. a 5 minute break, then play for a half hour, after already having played for an hour, and have it do this)

Sweet!!! nVidia just released a new driver....... yesterday!

Thanks Jeff, I'll have to try it using the new driver and see if I still encounter the problem.

And by 'we' you mean the program BZFlag, not little elves?
Last edited by Ice Wewe on Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

it sounds like it gets hot (not over heating) over about an hour of play and then it stops rendering and in the time it its not rendering it cools down and then it starts all over again
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

The Knights Who Say Ni wrote:it sounds like it gets hot (not over heating) over about an hour of play and then it stops rendering and in the time it its not rendering it cools down and then it starts all over again
*points up to JeffM2501's post*

read up man.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

The Knights Who Say Ni
if it stoped rendering it wouldn't draw anything. The only thing that happens is the textures are not shown.
ImageJeffM
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

well I know you have found the problem but I had this in 2.0.3 but it only happened a few times

for some reason by card wasn't reciving the textures from the data folder right......

I reinstalled bzflag and it went away.....

did you notice it was only dumping that standard textures that come on te standard objects?