Screen freeze - every time !!!

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Screen freeze - every time !!!

Post by Tankless »

My computer was shut down for three weeks while I was away. When I came back and booted up I found that every time I try to play Bzflag, my screen freezes; every time. There is no way out, other than the one finger Microsoft remedy.

What changed? No one had access to this computer, so there were no changes on it. Any ideas?
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Was your CMOS battery weak and its charge didn't survive long enough to keep the BIOS settings for three weeks?

Check these settings and make sure no PnP or system resource settings were changed back to default values.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

Good thought. The time clock was ok. But I'll check the settings. Thanks.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

The date and time is the last CMOS item to loose power.

It's a good thing to check your settings, as I can't think of anything else that would cause that with the info you provided. Good luck. :)
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

The CMOS settings seem to be where I left them. There's no evidence of reset.

Is there anything that could have affected my video card? It's a nVidia Geforce 2 MX/MX400. I can't see why power off would affect it, but there can be coincidence.
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

have you had any electrical storms, surges, etc in the past 3 weeks? Perhaps windows decided that your driver was carp, and promptly corrupted it (as a non-sarcastic aside, I would strongly suggest re-installing the latest and greatest from nvidia -- or if you have already, and are still getting the problem -- downgrading...I've had issues with the newest drivers on linux of late -- downgraded, and all is well again.)

Just a suggestion.

Peace
fiber
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

acutaly, start from square one.

what OS, what card, and what version of BZ?
ImageJeffM
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

Debian (Libranet 2.0) upgraded several times. Kernel 2.4.19. nVidia Geforce 2 MX/MX400. Nvidia version 2960. Processor is Duron 800; mb MSI K7T Pro2A.
KRR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by KRR »

Are you using the default BZ client that comes with Libra 2.0? It's e4, and there are newer clients that run better and look better. Even e6.

I have Libra2.0 (dist-upgraded) on one partition, haven't gone all the way with "unstable" yet to put g0 on. Installed RedHat9 on another partition for that - maybe that's an option for you to try.

I also have the same video card. I occasionally get lockups under this distro (which is Debian-based (Xandros)), have had lock-ups under win98 (g0 client), and haven't played enough on other distros yet to determine if they do the same.
"My other tank is a sailboat..."
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

Sorry, I forgot to add: my BZ client is 1.7g0. I got it by apt-get install bzflag.

I have been thinking of upgrading to Libranet 2.8. It should be better addapted to my hardware.
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

I just discovered that Tuxracer causes freeze ups too. That means that there is some sort of GLX problem. Now, why would having the maching turned off mess up that?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

dono, but it can't hurt to redo the current Nvidia drivers. Its more then likey a GL problem.
ImageJeffM
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

Strange. The GL is working again. I've been playing Bzflag and Tux racer again - normal. Yeah! But I don't think I fixed anything. As near as I can tell, I haven't changed anything. Except that my machine has been running for three or four days.

So what are the hardware issues? I checked the fans two days ago and they were running. Have I got a flakey video card? Or mobo? Or something else?
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Probably is was.....tooooooooo much beer, don't drink and drive

Post by Guest »

i believe you may have installed the snuffleupagus driver.......it does not liked to awaken quickly.........you might want to try the bigbird driver which does allow for quick reboots, but then you have to drop bird feed in the floppy drive every other day.
Tankless
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tankless »

Not just bird seed; ya gotta use morning glory seeds to make it sing.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Bagheera wrote:i believe you may have installed the snuffleupagus driver.......it does not liked to awaken quickly.........you might want to try the bigbird driver which does allow for quick reboots, but then you have to drop bird feed in the floppy drive every other day.
Darn, and all these years I've been using the Eeyore driver. When my PC boots it says "hell-lo" or "buzz, buzz" over and over again and spontaneously goes to sleep throughout the day.