Help the newb, Local server problem.

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
kirk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Help the newb, Local server problem.

Post by kirk »

I want to play the game on my local network. When I use the start server option in the game, I can connect on localhost on that computer. If I go to another computer on the network and try to connect to the IP address of the computer running the server, it starts to connect and then says server disconnect. Is there a default password when using the built in start server button. I've been leaving it blank. Running 2.0.4 on linux.

thanks
kirk
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Help the newb, Local server problem.

Post by Ice Wewe »

kirk wrote:I want to play the game on my local network. When I use the start server option in the game, I can connect on localhost on that computer. If I go to another computer on the network and try to connect to the IP address of the computer running the server, it starts to connect and then says server disconnect. Is there a default password when using the built in start server button. I've been leaving it blank. Running 2.0.4 on linux.

thanks
kirk

Most likely you're having a seg fault. You can just as easily run this in a terminal,

bzfs

That should create a random map on localhost:5154.
kirk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kirk »

Thanks for the reply. I deleted my .bzf file and restarted everything, no longer getting a server disconnect. Now it connects, downloads the maps from the server and displays the "press "i" to start" but pressing the i key does nothing. If you wait 10 min or so it will start the game. The computer running the server gets in right away. I've tried running bzfs alone, but with the same results. I can press the "o" key and view the ping stats for all the computers. Anybody tried setting this up on a local network?
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

yes, i did it at school on 15 networked Windows PCs, and had no problems whatsoever (appart from only being able to run random maps). i don't use linux, though.

anywho, i recomend starting it from the command line.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
kirk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kirk »

I have launched from commad line so I can look for errors and pass options. I can connect to internet servers no problem. I can play solo, no problem. Hosting other players on my network, Problem. It's funny, when another player on my network connects to the server running on my computer the map, downloads to them, they can watch and hear whats going on in the game, but nothing happens when they press "i" or the right mouse button for 10 min or so. Sometime it never connects (or I don't wait long enough). I keep thinking i've got something configured wrong. Do you need a password? Does it matter what your email is? Are there any 'must have' options that need to be passed to BZFS through command line or the bzfs.conf file? If Spazzy or someone who's ran a LAN server could post their bzfs.conf file i'd like to try it.

thanks again![/b]
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

kirk wrote:I have launched from commad line so I can look for errors and pass options. I can connect to internet servers no problem. I can play solo, no problem. Hosting other players on my network, Problem. It's funny, when another player on my network connects to the server running on my computer the map, downloads to them, they can watch and hear whats going on in the game, but nothing happens when they press "i" or the right mouse button for 10 min or so. Sometime it never connects (or I don't wait long enough). I keep thinking i've got something configured wrong. Do you need a password? Does it matter what your email is? Are there any 'must have' options that need to be passed to BZFS through command line or the bzfs.conf file? If Spazzy or someone who's ran a LAN server could post their bzfs.conf file i'd like to try it.

thanks again![/b]
No, there is nothing absolutely needed. At least what you have listed.

I would first question the router. assuming you have one.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
kirk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kirk »

Thanks Red Baron, I just tried to join the game on the same computer running the server, except this time I tried to connect to the IP address instead of localhost. When I do this I get the same results as when I try to connect from another computer. Might need to recompile.
kirk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kirk »

Thanks for everybodys help. I ended up compiling bzfs from version 2.0.2 and that fixed all my problems.