Cant use server name to login, must use IP

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Viking Lord
Private
Private

Cant use server name to login, must use IP

Post by Viking Lord »

For some strange reason, when I choose a server from the "Find Server" List, and I choose to connect to it, I can't join. I found that I can only join servers that list their IP address and port.

I can find the IP addresses on the Mybzflag website and I can join any website that I want by entering the IP and port manually in the server name field but not if I try to enter using the name. It's very annoying. I've tried messing with my settings and re-installing but that hasn't worked.

Any help?[/img]
loophole
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by loophole »

Usually it's the host operating system's job to resolve hostnames to IP addresses. Make sure you have the correct entries for DNS servers for your ISP (don't ask me where you change this in windows).

It could also be a mis-configuration of the servers you are trying to connect to.
The Knights Who Say Ni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Knights Who Say Ni »

in windows you go to settings >> control panel >> network and dial up connections >> ?your connection? >> properties >> (click) internet protocol (TCP/IP) >> properties then at the bottom is your dns servers
Sig Made By AlliedArmour

TGPH
Viking Lord
Private
Private

Post by Viking Lord »

The Properties current state to "Obtain IP address Automaticaly" and to "Obtain DNS Server address Automatically".

Also, this is happening for every server, except servers that list the IP address at the beginning of their names so I doubt it's a mis-configuration of the servers that I am trying to connect to.

I haven't always had this problem... with previous versions of BZ (2.02) I was fine but when I went to 2.04, then it started. I've also tried the 2.05b but same thing.

I agree, I'm sure it's something on my end but what? I was thinking that it was something in the way that I have BZ configured on my machine but changing the settings hasn't worked.
Roxport
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Roxport »

cosmol wrote:Usually it's the host operating system's job to resolve hostnames to IP addresses. Make sure you have the correct entries for DNS servers for your ISP (don't ask me where you change this in windows).
Viking Lord:
I doubt it is the Windows TCP/IP DNS settting. Are you experiencing similar behavior from other Internet-networking-enabled apps on your computer? For instance, do you have to enter IP addresses in your web browser?

If a bz server domain name is bound to a dynamic IP address, then it's possible that a server listed might not be reachable through its domain name, if that domain name's IP address changed recently maybe DNS updates slow, or domain name not setup to auto-update to new IP address. Play around with nslookup the next time this happens and experiment with other bz server domain names, trying to log into them via their domain name.

List specific bz server domain names and IP addresses that you experience(d) this with. That will help us troubleshoot better.
Viking Lord
Private
Private

Post by Viking Lord »

I don't have any problems in my web browser. I enter the website information just like anyone else. I haven't noticed this with any other apps either.

With BZ, it's not like it is working sometimes and sometimes not. If I look up a server in the server list, I can't enter any of them. Ever. The only time I can, is if the server name (on the list) is preceded by the IP address. If I pick any other server (and I tried almost all of them), it spins for about 2 minutes until it gives me back a "Server Not Found" message.

I found a nice list on my.bzflag.org that has a list of all the active servers and their IP addresses. If I then type the IP address and port, I can then enter the server and play normally.

What is nslookup?
Roxport
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Roxport »

Viking Lord wrote:What is nslookup?
"nslookup is a program to query Internet domain name servers." (man nslookup)
It's a handy networking utility. Open a term/cmd window and type: nslookup <domain name> [enter] and it returns the IP address that name is pointing to. But it sounds like the IP list you found would serve that purpose also. Nslookup is handy for on-the-spot queries.

You could try to re-install the bzflag client or delete "config.cfg" (save backup copy if customized). It's under "My BZFlag Files" in windows. If you delete that file, it will auto-generate the next time you run bzflag. But I don't think any settings there would affect this issue you're having (but you never know). It sounds like you might have already tried re-installing. Maybe a setting in a previous config.cfg file carried over to 2.0.4 - who knows. . .
Viking Lord wrote:...when I went to 2.04, then it started.
This souds suspicious to me. Could be a major clue.

Anyone?