identifying myself in bzflag

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Zanzara
Private
Private

identifying myself in bzflag

Post by Zanzara »

I hope someone can help. I've read lots of forum replies and scoured the web, but can't find out what's going wrong.

I recently registered my callsign and password, and can login to this forum!
When I put my callsign and password (double checked many times) into bzflag and try to join a server, I'm told the callsign is registered and that I need to identify myself. However, in some cases /register /identify etc are disabled, so I assume that the password is used. I just can't get it to accept it...

Any help greatly appreciated.

In the meantime I just have to play under an unregistered name and not talk to anyone...

Cheers.
Roxport
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Roxport »

I have seen this sometimes. I just waited, and then I was "recognized", it's like there was a little extra lag in communicating with the bzflag.org/bb database or whatever.

Also, remember that a specific server can have its own local list of users and passwords. Some servers can require a local login before you can even talk or spawn. It might be possible that on some server, your callsign was used before, by someone else (coincidence).

Try other servers and tell us which particular server was giving you the message, and the day/time you attempted to log in with your callsign/password.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

I would do as Roxport suggested first. But in the meantime, try the following steps. It fixes a proxy problem that some users have had problems with lately (it may or not be your problem, we need more info). Open your config.cfg file in NotePad or TextEdit if you or on a Mac.

Locations are:

Code: Select all

Windows: My Documents\My BZFlag Files\2.0\config.cfg

Mac: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/BZFlag/2.0/config.cfg
Go down to this line after opening config.cfg:

#set list http://my.BZFlag.org/db/
Now change it to this:

set list http://my.BZFlag.org:81/db/
If it's not a proxy problem this will do nothing, but if it is it will bypass it. I can't help much more unless we have more info, but I am just guessing it is a proxy problem as that has been a problem for many users in the past. Good luck!
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Roxport
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Roxport »

Here's a thread with similar topic discussion:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6649

And another:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6702
Zanzara
Private
Private

Post by Zanzara »

Thanks for your replies.

I've tried the config.cfg change, with no noticable difference. I'm using Fedora FC3 and found it in in my home .bzf/2.0/config.cfg. I also found a config (not .cfg) in .bzf and tried changing that too, restarting bzflag each time.

I'm running bzflag 2.0.2.

I tried connecting to 1badplayer.no-ip.org:4200 today 27th Jan at
12:56 GMT. As usual I get "This callsign is registed. You must identify yourself before playing". It disconnects if I try to join. and trying /identify gives "/identify command disabled.".

I tried bzflag.secretplace.us:5355 @12:59 and I can connect OK, although I see a "Global login rejected. bad token" message. I don't know if this server needs registration though.

I get the same result at bzflag3.tuxee.net:45154.

On bzflag.norang.ca:5157 @13:02, I get the "callsign registered" message, and the /identify disabled message.

I don't really know what the /identify /register commands would do and since they're disabled I still assume it should be taking my password.

I think I registered my callsign last weekend and haven't been able to use it to play bzflag since...

Thanks again for any help.
Zanzara
Private
Private

Post by Zanzara »

I've fixed it, and sorry for the timewasting. Somehow, I'd been continually missing the :81 from the my.BZFlag.org, and that _was_ what was needed.

It's been one of those weeks...
...probably caused by too much bzflag!

Thanks, see you online...