Server Setup: Require Global Login / Registration

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Server Setup: Require Global Login / Registration

Post by PsYch0 »

Hi - I've searched the forums to no end yet again; so here I am posting.

I want to 'release' a map/server I'm running within a few days, but would like to have a little more knowledge about server administration before I do so. One thing that I certainly need to know and don't is how to require global registration to do certain things ( spawn, talk, play, etc... )

I've searched the forums on tons of variations of key words like "require" "global" "login" "registration" and so on... nothing exactly on how to set a server to do so comes up...

Any help?

Thanks ahead of time,
PsYch0
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

That actually helped a lot.

One question though:
In order to give certain globally registered players particular permissions, do I need to do anything other than
(1) Set up global groups for my server; and
(2) Add these players to those groups; and
(3) Give the desired permissions to that group.

That is, if I have SERVER.COPS set up with, say, KICK and BAN, to name a few... and I add SomePlayer to SERVER.COPS.... when SomePlayer logs in to my server, s/he will automatically have the PERMS I set up?

Also for anyone who reads this post, I finally found the following, which helped a lot --- go figure, huh... the MAN page
http://my.bzflag.org/bzfman.cgi?bzfs.6s

Thanks again,
PsYch0
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by temporal distraction »

Step two is not necessary for general players. The groups EVERYONE and VERIFIED already exist and you don't need to add general players to these groups.

To answer your initial question of how to require registration for players, you would add SPAWN (and maybe TALK) to the VERIFIED group. I've also found it necessary to put in a negative perm into EVERYONE (ie -SPAWN and -TALK)

The only people that would need to be added to a global group will be your admins and cops. I see you've found the thread to ask for global groups. oh, and you probably know this but your groups name shouldn't be SERVER.COPS, but the name you asked for: PSYCH0.COP

BTW the permissions in these groups do not need to be all caps - sometimes it helps to read them if they are upper+lower case.
PsYch0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by PsYch0 »

Exellent.
And thank you for all the tips.

-PsYch0