Need Help With bzfs and making my map a public server

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Bot1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Need Help With bzfs and making my map a public server

Post by Bot1 »

hey guys, i need help with starting my server, please be specific: i have made complete maps/worlds with BZEdit and i have tinkered around with bzfs but i cant seem to hook it all up into a public BZFlag server, plus i've accidentally deleted what ever was in the "Start" box in bzfs properties. thanks in advance, BOT1
Goodbye2U
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Goodbye2U »

Hmmm...
Do you know how to start a sever(at all) with BZFS?
I'm thinking I need a better sig than this...
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Well, this is a big topic. BZFlag doesn't have nice point and clicky options for setting up a server. The advantage to this is that it's easier to add a bunch of options to what the server can do without having a messy and bloated GUI. The disadvantage, of course, is that newbs find it to be rather hard to learn.

Basically, to start up a server, you're going to open up a command prompt and issue some sort of command starting with either bzfs (*nix and mac(?)) or bzfs.exe If you're unfamiliar with what a command prompt is, I'd suggest you do some googling around to find out what it is.

You don't need one, but I'd suggest that you have a configuration file to use with bzfs. It will save you from having to type in a bunch of commands at startup time.

I'd suggest that you read everything you can at: http://bzflag.org/wiki/

Another suggestion is that you try to get one thing working at a time, and fully understand how it works before moving on to the next thing. For example, figure out how to get a map loaded before trying to figure out superflags. Set up a server on a LAN before setting up a public server.

A few hints on making a public server:

You'll need a FAST broadband connection
You'll need to set up port forwarding in your router
You'll need to set up your firewall to let connections in on the appropriate ports. DONT just drop your firewall to run a public server.
Look around for some sample conf files for the server. They're usually well commented,and quite helpful.

Good luck.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Oh, one more thing that is indispensable:

The man pages:

http://my.bzflag.org/bzfman.cgi?bzfs.6s

Any *nix user will be intimately familiar with these, but windoze users will most likely be unaware of them. Basically, they're a summary of the command line options available for each executable.

Have fun!
Bot1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bot1 »

thanks guys, awesome help