BZFS goes NR after a little while, and no not windows...

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
KnightMare

BZFS goes NR after a little while, and no not windows...

Post by KnightMare »

Have heard discussion of Window servers going NR all at once. My Slackware Linux box does this also. Tried older versions, tried new version.. play great, all players have great connections. Then NR all at once, even my modem crash's. Have to unplug it to get it to work again. Anyone seen this? Or have any ideas. I have had the cable people out 3 times now, they don't know either. Bad thing is, it ONLY happens while i have BZFS running. Any other prog does not upset the system. And it's not once in awhile, it will happen every time.
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah...I've had that happen to me too...

Post by Fiberchunks »

KnightMare,
I've had that happen to me too, but not when running a server ... it happens when I have two clients going on my network (and it doesn't matter if they're on the same server or not).

I believe that most of this is related to port forwarding issues, but since I do this site now, I don't have the available bandwidth to also run a bzfs server :sob:

What ports do you have open to your server?

You should have, at minimum: port 5155 (or whatever TCP port you choose) open, and then 17200-172xx UDP (where xx is the max number of players you allow, +) ...

Check your configs for that first, and ensure that you do indeed have those ranges open...

Aside from that, I'm at a loss too -- I am, however, going to replace my crappy linky router with a linux or OpenBSD box one of these days...and I'll report back if that helps at all...

By the way, I'm on mandrake systems @ my house...so take that for what it's worth (not much ;) )

Good luck
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Linux too huh?

Post by Dutchrai »

Linux too huh? That's the first time I hear about that. Looks like the NR bug is getting serious. Anyway, I read in the forums on Source Forge that Chestal (a programmer) has increased the priority on this bug.

We're just gonna have to leave it to the smart guys! :shock:

KnightMare: In case you wonder, it happens when you run BZFS on the Internet with one or more other players, and at the moment one player leaves the game (quits) chances are high it will crash BZFS (at least on Windows).
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
[color=#405070:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
[/color:82d1e9b9a0]
KnightMare

Post by KnightMare »

./bin/bzfs +f CL +f GM +f ID +f L +f OO +f ST +f SW -f JP -f R -j -lagdrop 2 -la
gwarn 600 -maxidle 300 -mo 0 -mp 3,3,3,3,3 -ms 10 -p 17200 -passwd **** -pr
17201 -r +r -requireudp +s 75 -s 75 -sa -st 1 -sw 1 -t -public "Check out bzbb.h
omelinux.org for BZ Forums." -publicaddr "knightmare.servegame.com:17200" -srvms
g "Who Wants It!" -world "bin/megadome.bzw" &
./bin/bzfrelay 207.50.56.69

There's what i have at the moment. Have tried it at 5500 also.. See anything? Like i said, nothing else crash's the modem. Start up BZFS and wammo...I dont get it
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

/bin/bzfs +f CL +f GM +f ID +f L +f OO +f ST +f SW -f JP -f R -j -lagdrop 2 -la
gwarn 600 -maxidle 300 -mo 0 -mp 3,3,3,3,3 -ms 10 -p 17200 -passwd **** -pr
17201 -r +r -requireudp +s 75 -s 75 -sa -st 1 -sw 1 -t -public "Check out bzbb.h
omelinux.org for BZ Forums." -publicaddr "knightmare.servegame.com:17200" -srvms
g "Who Wants It!" -world "bin/megadome.bzw" &
./bin/bzfrelay 207.50.56.69
-p 17200 is wrong: should be -p 5155 (or 5156, 5157, 7500, etc)...also, you will need to change the 'knightmare.servegame.com:17200' to reflect the new port

In essence player to player communication is done via UDP (17200+) range, and client -> server comms are done on TCP in the 5155,6.7, 7500 range

not sure about the bzfrelay portion, as I don't use it when I serve, so can't help you there....

Make sure that TCP port 51xx is open, and also that 17200 - 172<maxplayers> UDP are open on your router/firewall, etc.

Good luck, let me know if it works[/quote]
KnightMare

Post by KnightMare »

Made changes, will let ya know how it goes.

Thanks
KnightMare

Post by KnightMare »

Found the cause of my problems... After having the modem switched out 3 times, with the exact same model and having the cable guys out 3 times.... I went and bought another brand. Poof, problems all gone. Avoid the Toshiba 2500.... Using D-Link DCM-200 now, never even hiccups. I told them form the start that the modem was just junk...I got a "Whats Linux, never heard of it" From the "Techs"... And a "We do not support Linux, We do not support gaming, your screwed" From the Cable Co..

Too bad their the only game in town, i'd switch in a heartbeat...

I am a CompTIA A+ and N+ certified tech, know what that means?? I'm a welder :(