linux bzflag problem

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
smartkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

linux bzflag problem

Post by smartkid »

I ran this to install bzf [root@localhost cody]# tar xvfz /home/cody/Desktop/bzflag-2.0.8-x86.tar.gz -C /

when I launch BZFlag I get the error shown in the attached picture.

thanks - S K -
Attachments
snapshot1.png
The error
(140.05 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
~Sk
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

where did you get the tarball? that isn't one of our standard packages.

it looks like your system dosn't have some of the runtime librarys, and is trying to download them and can't.

that message is probably not made by bzflag.
ImageJeffM
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

What exactly are you trying to do? Do you just want it to work on your linux computer, or are specifically looking to compile it from source code?

If you Just Want it to Work® try using your distribution's packaging system. I haven't encountered a linux distro yet that doesn't offer bzflag.

If you want to compile it from source, I'd recommend using the CVS source. Yeah, it's development code, but I've rarely had trouble with it, and only minor little issues that get fixed in a day or so.

Code: Select all

$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.bzflag.org:/cvsroot/bzflag login

$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.bzflag.org:/cvsroot/bzflag co -P bzflag
You'll need to have a few dependencies in place, such as several of the SDL and SDL-devel packages. See what compile errors you get, and install the appropriate package. Again, make sure that those *-devel packages that you need are present.

One last thing, I'd suggest that you don't use root (#) to untar anything, unless there is a seriously good reason to do so. ("don't take the name of root in vain") For starters, you shouldn't use root unless you NEED to, and it also will untar everything and not allow a regular user to modify it, since the files will be owned by root. When you install from source code, do everything from the normal user account, and only do "make install" as root.
smartkid
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by smartkid »

I was installing xampp ( lampp ) for my server and just used the same shell ( It needed root access ).

As far as where I got this from, I just went to download:
Stable: 2.0.8

The current stable version of BZFlag is 2.0.8.

* GNU/Linux installer (i586) [WWW]bzflag-2.0.8-x86-Opkg.tar.gz
As far as what im doing, I have no idea! Im a complete noob with linux, my experence is numbered in hours. I will try your advise and post results,

thanks - S K -
~Sk
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

actualy I would recomend against cvs source, as what you have pointed there is for 2.1 and it is incompatable with 2.0.x

if you want to build from source, get the 2.0.8 source tarball from the bzflag sourceforge site.

I would realy like to know where you got the tarball you installed, as that is not one of our builds.
ImageJeffM
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

actualy I would recomend against cvs source, as what you have pointed there is for 2.1 and it is incompatable with 2.0.x
OOPS! right you are. Here's the proper branch:

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs.bzflag.org:/cvsroot/bzflag co -P -r v2_0branch bzflag
The stable tarball would be a good route to go too.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

JeffM2501 wrote:actualy I would recomend against cvs source, as what you have pointed there is for 2.1 and it is incompatable with 2.0.x

if you want to build from source, get the 2.0.8 source tarball from the bzflag sourceforge site.

I would realy like to know where you got the tarball you installed, as that is not one of our builds.
He got it from the wiki, and no, that is not an official build:
http://www.bzflag.org/wiki/Download
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)