kicked for no udp

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Crom
Private First Class
Private First Class

kicked for no udp

Post by Crom »

Ughhh the only problem I ever have with changing Virus software is the UDP problem. in BZflag - my favorite program ( TIm Riker - you Rock - thanks man!) I am now on Macafee .

Please do not waste time suggestion another OS ( I am on Widosw XP - why else would I need Virus protection - Thanks, Bill) or a different virus product.

As usual, with the firewall on or off UDP is apparently disabled.

So, how do I get Around the standard Mcafee UDP preventions?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

What version on McAffe are you using? On my home PC, I go into the firewall and just allow bzflag.exe. I just installed McAffe (moved from Trend) 2 days ago, works great.
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

heh, try that
Run game. Press options, and find for udp on/off
Change from off to on :D
Crom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crom »

Mcafee Security Center 2006 I downloaded it on Sunday from their website.

I had gone into the Firewall settings and allowed all 3 BZlag appications and also specifically opened the port 6026 for UDP for Boxy war - my child's favorite.
Crom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crom »

Janis - for idiots like me Where is the turn on UDP option in version 2.08?
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

The options for UDP are in McAfee, not BZFlag.
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

BZFlag had an option to turn UDP off/on in earlier versions. This thing is not available in 2.0.8.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Crom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crom »

Solution - You will not believe this. I had a long chat with several support folks at McAfee, and I eventually gutted the security center testing each part to see what was the problem. It was any orf th following three parts - Spamkiller, site advisor, and Privacy Service. Once I finally removed all three I could use the UDP connections required for Boxy war. If I installed any of the three listed above It would no longer work. Why a spam program, or a "site advisor" would prevent UDP communications when a firewall would not is beyond me. After researching UDP I can sort of see the privicay Service link, but not really. And I do not know why it will not work if any of the three are installed, but disabled.

So thank you for your help, and I am sorry if I accidently blew anybody up when I was popping in and testing my connection. I hope this helps someone else in the future. To plug the MCAfee suite - of which I am still happy with. I got all three of my compters protected for a year for a sum total of $50.36 = 49.99 plus the all important stamp for the mail in rebate. The firewall and virus protection are still working quite well.
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

ah:( badbadbad :(

But i think i have it in my version
H0ley
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by H0ley »

I've had problems with UDP traffic due to router issues... what kind of network setup are you using?
/loves meteorite's mom