bad sound in Ubuntu

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
AndreasT
Private
Private

bad sound in Ubuntu

Post by AndreasT »

Hello, me and my family enjoy to play bzflag, but there's a little problem with one of the workstations. The sound is bad, like a from an old tape recorder, delayed and scratching.

We're running three stations:

P4 3.2 GHz onboard sound Suse 10.0 perfect
P3 800 soundcard Ubuntu Dapper perfect
Celeron 1,2 GHz onboard sound Ubuntu Dapper with problems

Bzflag is the only application with sound problems. All installed by the default installer (YAST2 and synaptic).

Any idea :?:
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

i had a problem with my old motherboard and ubuntu sound. ive tried ubuntu on this system with a soundcard (SB Live 24bit) and its fine, but on the old one it was annoying. the problem was solved by recompiling the kernel with driver module alsa instead of in kernel modules... it was maybe a 2 hour long thing, most of it spent away from the computer as it compiled from scratch. all in all, it fixed the problem
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Ubuntu ALSA is terrible with BZFlag. What you can do instead is configure KDE/Gnome to release the dsp after so many seconds of inactivity, and then play BZFlag after that period. BZFlag will use the dsp, and will have much much better sound.
AndreasT
Private
Private

Post by AndreasT »

Thanks for quick replay. I think I will wait for Efty two machines run perfectly. If things become better I will let you know.

Andreas :wink: